Which came first the Eagle or the egg?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Which came first the Eagle or the egg?

Post by abacus »

Looking through the Modern Wonder magazines I have always thought that these were the inspiration for the Eagle comic.The similarities in size and half gloss paper for one.
Secondly both have used centre spread cut away diagrams and although not a comic I have some copies of Modern Wonder that features Flash Gordon on the back page hence the space comic strip reference.
Flash Gordon comic strip only ran on some of the magazines and most magazines had no comic strips. See illustrations.
The second illustŕation shows some centre spread images plus some Flash Gordon back pages from Modern Wonder to prove the point.
Plus a little christmas decoration on the first pic, well! It is that time of year.. :D

philcom55

Re: Which came first the Eagle or the egg?

Post by philcom55 »

I agree about the probable connection Abacus. L. Ashwell Wood, who became famous for his cutaway drawings in Eagle, produced many similar pages for Modern Wonder. Also, Frank Hampson himself admitted that he'd been strongly influenced by Alex Raymond's Flash Gordon.

Lew Stringer

Re: Which came first the Eagle or the egg?

Post by Lew Stringer »

The latest issue of Spaceship Away has an article about the Modern Wonder, which has the same theory.
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... -with.html