Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The longest running comics that have never been renumbered 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 7219
Location: Hull, UK
Reply with quote
Newsarama has a piece about the 10 longest running currently published English language comics that have never been renumbered (which means nothing from Marvel is in there, and the only DC comic is Looney Tunes). I'm pleased to say the top two are British - 2000AD and The Beano! Nice to see Beano get credit where it's due, instead of getting ignored because it isn't sold in American comic book stores. Though they did call the publisher DC Thompson, and everything should've been one place lower, as they don't mention Commando.
https://www.newsarama.com/37485-the-lon ... bered.html


Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
Digifiend wrote:
Though they did call the publisher DC Thompson, and everything should've been one place lower, as they don't mention Commando
Is Commando generally thought of as a comic, Digi? For me it's neither the right size nor the right shape. I would bracket it with the likes of Starblazer, each issue of which, as far as I'm aware, presents itself as Space Fiction Adventure In Pictures, the Picture Story Library For Girls series from Bunty, Judy, Mandy, and Debbie, and Football Picture Story Monthly, because within their covers they only seem to present one story each. All the comics I was brought up with, read widely as a schoolboy, investigated as a young adult, and now write about, had anything from four/five serials to six/seven, with a complete thrown in very occasionally for variety.


Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 pm
Posts: 908
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Digest-sized comics for me. Same as Archie and the rest. Also, Spider-Man is a different size to most British comics of yesteryear and only one story. Golden Age comics, e.g. All-American Comics, another size too. But you'd be hard-pressed not to call them comics.

_________________
STARSCAPE
http://StarscapeOnline.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Starscape ... 7891434222
comics, cartoons, music & movies


Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
starscape wrote:
Digest-sized comics for me. Same as Archie and the rest. Also, Spider-Man is a different size to most British comics of yesteryear and only one story. Golden Age comics, e.g. All-American Comics, another size too. But you'd be hard-pressed not to call them comics.

And considering that the website and presence on social media is Commando comics, not Commando Picture Libraries, it would be akin to classifying the American wizard size as magazines instead of as comics.

While we might describe them as Picture Libraries, they are still recognisable to one and all as a comic.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4791
Reply with quote
starscape wrote:
Digest-sized comics for me. Same as Archie and the rest. Also, Spider-Man is a different size to most British comics of yesteryear and only one story. Golden Age comics, e.g. All-American Comics, another size too. But you'd be hard-pressed not to call them comics.
That is a persuasive answer, starscape. Thank you.


Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:24 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 am
Posts: 333
Reply with quote
If they missed out Commando, maybe they overlooked other comics too (from English-speaking countries other than the US or UK, for example).

_________________
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk


Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
dishes wrote:
If they missed out Commando, maybe they overlooked other comics too (from English-speaking countries other than the US or UK, for example).

With the exception of The Beano and 2000AD, they have missed out loads as a lot of British comics broke the 500 barrier and these have all been missed such as The Dandy, Victor, Hotspur, Warlord, Bunty, Judy, The Eagle Mk 1, Battle, Tiger, Wizard Mk 1, Rover and Adventure. And that is without having to think too hard!

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:05 am
Posts: 853
Location: Southampton/London
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
And that is without having to think too hard!
[/quote]

Good job really! :lol:


Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
dishes wrote:
If they missed out Commando, maybe they overlooked other comics too (from English-speaking countries other than the US or UK, for example).

With the exception of The Beano and 2000AD, they have missed out loads as a lot of British comics broke the 500 barrier and these have all been missed such as The Dandy, Victor, Hotspur, Warlord, Bunty, Judy, The Eagle Mk 1, Battle, Tiger, Wizard Mk 1, Rover and Adventure. And that is without having to think too hard!


"we focused on currently-running titles"


Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 1192
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Reply with quote
Before I get on my hobbyhorse about digest size comics - and there are different sizes of digest comics - can I mention another English language comic breaking the 500 barrier? If that's o.k., The Phantom, published by Frew in Australia, is not a kick on the bahookie of #1800. :D
Digest size. I have to say starscape is right. There are as many types of digest comics as those in much bigger formats and many of them feature more than one story, incl. Thriller Picture Library issues, Archie's different titles, Cowboy Picture Library. As for genres, British digest comics have featured war, western, romance, S.F., School (boys and girls), superheroes, detective, horror, spies, secret agents, historic, classic characters, t.v. adaptations, funnies, reprints. In fact, something for everyone. And not only comic art, as we all know it, i.e. illustrated panels with word balloons, but photo novels, which apart from British ones like Blue Jeans, were/are popular in non-English speaking countries. A favourite genre of mine are the Mexican superhero wrestler comics. MSW titles appear as photo novels and standard comics and they are all a lot smaller than Commando, for instance.
And the digest size Diabolik, (different size from SDL, Commando etc.) published by Astorina in Italy, has been running uninterrupted since 1962, albeit at varying frequencies.


Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
paw broon wrote:
And the digest size Diabolik, (different size from SDL, Commando etc.) published by Astorina in Italy, has been running uninterrupted since 1962, albeit at varying frequencies.


Don't European comics usually renumber at the start of every year? Or has Diabolik avoided that tradition?

Good point about The Phantom!

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 1192
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Reply with quote
Yes, you're bang on. It's just that Diabolik has been running non-stop since 1962. That's only the original title with new story every issue and doesn't include the reprint run, the 2nd. reprint run and the Gigante issues. Not to mention all the collections and other specials that appear regularly.
As I'm on my hobbyhorse, not as well known as Diabolik, Kriminal, which I prefer, ran for over 400 issues. Like D. at first, these titles and others were very violent untill the cencor stepped in and they were toned down, but the Magnus artwork remains exciting till this day.


Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
paw broon wrote:
Yes, you're bang on. It's just that Diabolik has been running non-stop since 1962. That's only the original title with new story every issue and doesn't include the reprint run, the 2nd. reprint run and the Gigante issues. Not to mention all the collections and other specials that appear regularly.
As I'm on my hobbyhorse, not as well known as Diabolik, Kriminal, which I prefer, ran for over 400 issues. Like D. at first, these titles and others were very violent untill the cencor stepped in and they were toned down, but the Magnus artwork remains exciting till this day.


It's a shame they're not translated into English, or perhaps they were once and I missed them? I have the few copies of Sadistik that Mort Todd published a few years ago in English. Photo strips but similar to Diabolik in character.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
"we focused on currently-running titles"
I missed that bit! :lol:
I was just stunned at how they managed to miss Commando. I also ask that two other comics are considered and they are Aces Weekly and Heavy Metal both of which are still going and both have notched up over 200 issues.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6933
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
"we focused on currently-running titles"
I missed that bit! :lol:
I was just stunned at how they managed to miss Commando. I also ask that two other comics are considered and they are Aces Weekly and Heavy Metal both of which are still going and both have notched up over 200 issues.


Aces renumbers every volume though. Not sure about Heavy Metal. They missed Mad too!

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.