Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Full 2018 schedule for Treasury of British Comics 

philcom55 wrote:
I'd love to see Pat Mills rewriting the WW2 section the way he originally intended. It wouldn't be the same without Joe but I'm sure one of Rebellion's 2000AD artists could do a decent job.

Do you know why Pat didn't write the sequel?

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

14 Mar 2018, 19:38
Profile YIM

SID wrote:
philcom55 wrote:
I'd love to see Pat Mills rewriting the WW2 section the way he originally intended. It wouldn't be the same without Joe but I'm sure one of Rebellion's 2000AD artists could do a decent job.

From an interview with Pat Mills:

"Joe needed to keep it going, so that was fine with me. I would have loved to carry it on into World War Two, but – because I feared I did not have enough knowledge to sustain my usual savagery and they wouldn’t give me a research budget – I declined. Scott Goodall , who continued it into World War 2, was a traditional writer (he’d written a couple of series with Joe before). Sadly, there was no way he was going to give it any edge, although I’m sure he did his best.

My enduring memory and the true ending of Charley’s War is in 1933 – where Charley on the dole and he’s thinking tomorrow is another day and things can only get better . He walks off into the grimy sunset of London’s East End as a newspaper announces: “Adolf Hitler made Chancellor of Germany”. That, to me, sums up Charley and the betrayal of his great, uncomplaining but tragic generation."

Full interview: https://downthetubes.net/?page_id=20969

15 Mar 2018, 18:02
Profile WWW

Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:
philcom55 wrote:

From an interview with Pat Mills:

"Joe needed to keep it going, so that was fine with me. I would have loved to carry it on into World War Two, but – because I feared I did not have enough knowledge to sustain my usual savagery and they wouldn’t give me a research budget – I declined. Scott Goodall , who continued it into World War 2, was a traditional writer (he’d written a couple of series with Joe before). Sadly, there was no way he was going to give it any edge, although I’m sure he did his best.

My enduring memory and the true ending of Charley’s War is in 1933 – where Charley on the dole and he’s thinking tomorrow is another day and things can only get better . He walks off into the grimy sunset of London’s East End as a newspaper announces: “Adolf Hitler made Chancellor of Germany”. That, to me, sums up Charley and the betrayal of his great, uncomplaining but tragic generation."

Full interview: https://downthetubes.net/?page_id=20969

Thanks, Lew. :up: I liked the imaginary of Pat's ending.

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

17 Mar 2018, 18:00
Profile YIM

Here's the covers for five of the upcoming books from Rebellion. The Black Max one is particularly impressive as it's a new cover by Alfonso Font:

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/treasury-of-british-comics-covers.html

12 Apr 2018, 01:00
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3