Comics of the 1960's - a general overview

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Re: Comics of the 1960's - a general overview

Post by koollectablz »

Kashgar wrote:
koollectablz wrote:There’s all the tv comic ‘popeye’ specials as well from the sixties.
Of course. Popeye Holiday Specials from 1965 to 1969 which takes the total up to 33.
It would be interesting to get a date for the Flintstones special you mention.
Annoyingly it’s not showing up in eBay completed items, but I’m pretty sure it was last year or very early this year.

I hadn’t seen it before, hence why I wanted it - but it’s definitely a Flintstones Special with the wording Huckleberry Hound presents at the top or something very similar. I meant to take a screen shot at the time but tbh I thought I’d win it anyways. Such is the way.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Kashgar wrote:
koollectablz wrote:There’s all the tv comic ‘popeye’ specials as well from the sixties.
Of course. Popeye Holiday Specials from 1965 to 1969 which takes the total up to 33.
It would be interesting to get a date for the Flintstones special you mention.
Annoyingly it’s not showing up in eBay completed items, but I’m pretty sure it was last year or very early this year.

I hadn’t seen it before, hence why I wanted it - but it’s definitely a Flintstones Special with the wording Huckleberry Hound presents at the top or something very similar. I meant to take a screen shot at the time but tbh I thought I’d win it anyways. Such is the way.
I'm just going out but I'm 99% sure that it was called the Flintstones Fun Extra if that helps. I do remember it was 1964.

Edit: Yes it was 1964

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

[/quote]

I'm just going out but I'm 99% sure that it was called the Flintstones Fun Extra if that helps. I do remember it was 1964.

Edit: Yes it was 1964[/quote]

Thanks Adam, That's another to add to the list. There really was an explosion of Hanna Barbera based material in the early 1960's. Some reprint from the US and some not.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:I have a Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks annual somewhere but I presume it's early seventies? But I'm sure I've seen a sixties Flintstones annual.
GCD says there were Flintstones annuals from 1963 to 1974.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Adam Eterno wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I have a Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks annual somewhere but I presume it's early seventies? But I'm sure I've seen a sixties Flintstones annual.
GCD says there were Flintstones annuals from 1963 to 1974.
Hi Adam, I only listed the ones for 1963-1969 as they were from the decade under review.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Can the two Jackpot Comic Annuals from World Distributors be added to the Annuals list?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

chrisb wrote:Can the two Jackpot Comic Annuals from World Distributors be added to the Annuals list?
Hi Chris, I was trying to keep the list to manageable proportions by just including annuals that had a direct link to a weekly comic. A quick look at the galleries here and on Tony's Trading, as I'm sure you're aware, reveals how many stand alone comic annuals the 1960's produced.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

That makes sense.