Comics exclusive to annuals and specials

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Comics exclusive to annuals and specials

Post by blaing »

I don't know if this has ever been answered, but here is my question

Recently, on my blog, I did a post on Benny Bendo in the 1979 Cor!! Holiday Special, and it got me to thinking. There have been strips that appeared in the summer/holiday specials, or annuals that never appeared in the weeklies.

The other strips I can think of was the Dick Twerpin strip that appeared in the Cheeky annuals, and on one occasion, in a summer special, by Martin Baxendale. The only other one was John Geering's Brainless strip in the Sparky Books (that strip eventually turned up in the Topper)

Was there any other strip that was exclusive to the annuals or special in all genres, not just in one annual/special, but appearing in multiple editions

Here is the Benny Bendo strip. https://bjlcomicarchive.blogspot.com/nc ... o-cor.html

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Comics exclusive to annuals and specials

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Bruce, I would imagine there are and awful lot of these if we are talking one-offs but here are a few more resilient examples from the D C Thomson stable.

Dan the Turtle (although he never appeared under that title only as 'Dan does this...' and 'Dan does that...') in the first five editions of the Dandy Monster Comic 1939-1943 drawn by William Ward.
Postie Knox, who was created for the magazine cum newspaper 'The People's Journal' in Sept 1947, but then appeared in twelve editions of the Topper book 1959-1970 with artwork by Arthur Jackson.
Our Sheriff's an Ape in 17 editions of the Beezer Book 1969-1973, 1975-1983, 1986-1988 and two Beezer Summer Specials 1973 and 1975 with artwork by Bill Holroyd (14), Bill Hill (4) and George Martin (1).
If you reverse your question and were to ask was there ever a long running weekly strip that never made it into an annual or special a good example from Thomson's would be the 'Our Gang' strip, drawn by Dudley Watkins, which appeared in the first 340 issues of the Dandy but due to copyright restrictions never appeared in the yearly Dandy Monster Comic.

blaing

Re: Comics exclusive to annuals and specials

Post by blaing »

Thanks, Ray. Another example from your final example (and was the same reason that it never apppeared in the summer special and annual the year it was published. Because of contratuual reasons and the production schedules of the annuals and specials,) was the Goodies strip that appeared in the 1973 run of Cor!!

There would be hundreds more strips that had multiple appearances (which was the reason why I should have limited it to multiple strips, otherwise there would be thousands.)

Thanks once again, Ray.