Latest Comic Highlight

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: Latest Comic Highlight

Post by SID »

Bought this year's The Dandy Summer Special and Beano - 80 Years of Fun from my local WHSmiths and read them in the garden.
Great reading them with my ice cream and cold drink. :cheers:

:soapbox:
The only thing I didn't like was that in the Beano mag, the Peanut character was airbrushed off the early Beano covers as if he never existed. I can understand the reasons why you wouldn't have a character like Peanut now. But this is a historical document and surely it should be accurate??? Which means showning the the covers as they were at the time which means including Peanut.

Then after doing all that, the mag includes a photograph featuring an original first issue that did have Peanut on it. Very strange.

I know DCT are entitled to do what they have done but I'm just glad they are not in charge of historical literature in general.

Anyway, it was a nice way to spend a summer's afternoon outside.
Last edited by SID on 24 Jun 2018, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

my local whs never had the beano special and said 26 july was the release date

blaing

Post by blaing »

Bri, I get the feeling that WHS worker was looking at the 80th birthday weekly issue than the bookazine.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

blaing wrote:Bri, I get the feeling that WHS worker was looking at the 80th birthday weekly issue than the bookazine.
she said the price was £6.99

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I did enjoy getting told by Isobel Kennedy that I had a great depth of knowledge when I was at Michael Dempster's lecture about Scots in comics at Moniaive.

I also enjoyed being able to help Michael in finding examples of Sawney Bean in comics.

And I have especially enjoyed setting up the British Comics Swapmeet and Minimart page on Facebook
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Well while listening to the rain, I have just finished reading the Jinty graphic novel just released by Rebelllion. Good two stories and well worth the price especially when it's discounted at Amazon.co.uk.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

SID wrote:Well while listening to the rain, I have just finished reading the Jinty graphic novel just released by Rebelllion. Good two stories and well worth the price especially when it's discounted at Amazon.co.uk.
I remember rain......it's been over a month since we last had any in my area of Southampton. The public areas of grass look like prairee land!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate, Frank, texted me on Friday to say it was bucketing down where he lives in Shepherd's Bush but there wasn't a drop in Bermondsey where I live. SW/SE London divide. It's the birds I worry about. Roll on November!

SID

Post by SID »

Well the sky is dark grey (not because of the time of day) and the rain is doing its best to fill up buckets too.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

SID wrote:Well the sky is dark grey (not because of the time of day) and the rain is doing its best to fill up buckets too.
The sprinkler has been moved around my garden for 16 hours a day for weeks!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Meanwhile back in comics land, a piece of research has really paid off and I will be prepping up the article about it very soon. 8)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Today was sitting in the garden reading the 80th birthday issue of Beano which came out today which also happens to be my birthday. :D

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

SID wrote:Today was sitting in the garden reading the 80th birthday issue of Beano which came out today which also happens to be my birthday. :D
Happy Birthday! :cheers:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

happy birthday Sid :cheers:

blaing

Post by blaing »

Many happy returns for the day, SID.