Info on Robot Dinosaurs adventure strip: Reprinted in Eagle?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Fleet Captain Roak

Info on Robot Dinosaurs adventure strip: Reprinted in Eagle?

Post by Fleet Captain Roak »

Hi guys , new to this Forum and nostalgic at some of Topics & posts I'm seeing .

Been trying to track down information on a strip for years now :

Premise - A scientist/technical genius type has created a large number of full sized dinosaur robots for films . While his two teenaged children - boy & girl - are on set one evening , the large & bulky control unit is struck by lightning . Robot Dino's 'revert to their internal programming' (!) and go on rampage across Britain .
Most memorable parts were the two teens trying to take down the gigantic Cetiosaurus with a Mark 1 WWI Tank from a Military Museum , missing with sponson mounted cannon & having the dino start to crush it with it's foot .
Kids escape when the Armour plating buckles under the huge weight & Tank explodes blowing off the 'outer skin' & exposuring inner mechanical workings . The kids return to the Museum & use a crossbow from there to hit a vulnerable area on the exposed robotics . Dinobot is taken out.

Tackling the robo T-Rex - much bigger than real life T-Rex - they grab some racing bikes to outrun it chasing them . Girl comes off her bike & Rex picks her up . Brother realizes the Robot is following it's programming from it's last film , where it threw dummy humans off top of cliff (!) . Intercepts T-Rex at nearby cliff & rescues his sister . Rex robot may or may not lose it's head & crash over edge of cliff to it's destruction .

Triceratops Robot chases kids into railway yard & smashes it's self to bits on a more heavily built diesel engine by charging it .
Last strip was the pair being chased by the remaining 'herd' of mixed robot models in a stampede , in the rain . Only for lightning to strike the group of robots AGAIN , frying all of them & thus completing the circle .

It was originally printed in late 1970's or very early '80's in a comic - possibly Starlord or as an adventure strip in a comic like Buster ? Reprinted I think in revamped Eagle in the mid to late '80's - that was only comic I had on order at the time - but many other comics like Buster , Spike & Scream floating around my boarding school at the time .

I thought it might share the artist with the first Ant War series , but after quick search , I've drawn a blank .

Have posted on a couple of other forums trying to find out any info - defunct SFX Forum & others - but received no replies . Can any of you experts help ?
Commander of Imperial Battlecruiser Vanguard , currently assigned Segmentum Solar .

Al
Sir!

Re: Info on Robot Dinosaurs adventure strip: Reprinted in Ea

Post by Al »

Sounds like it might be the adventure strip from Monster Fun entitled March of the Mighty Ones.

It started in issue #1 (dated 14th June 1975). I don't know if it appeared elsewhere.

Here's the first two pages from that first issue.
March of the Mighty Ones #1
March of the Mighty Ones #1
March of the Mighty Ones #2
March of the Mighty Ones #2
Al

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

I once covered the strip in my blogpost here: http://kazoop.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-lo ... ch-of.html
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Fleet Captain Roak

Post by Fleet Captain Roak »

Bloody amazing guys ! Yes that is the strip . Did a quick search & it was reprinted in Buster around 1983 by the looks of it . A good friend at my school had Buster mailed to him every week by his grandmother & that's probably where I read the whole strip .

I originally read the Cetiosaurus vs Tank adventure years before going off to school , so that must have been in Monster Fun . I was incredibly young then , but a near eidetic memory means a lot of these strips are burned into my mind . Certainly remember my uncle reading Hook Jaw in Action , amongst other not so well known strips .
Much appreciated :-D
Commander of Imperial Battlecruiser Vanguard , currently assigned Segmentum Solar .