Mega city tower blocks were educational

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Somebody mentioned an obscure American celebrity from the 1960s recently, and I couldn't remember where I'd heard the name before.. then I remember, those city blocks in Mega City one! Am I the only one who found them very educational? You know, the Sonny Bono block, the Ricardo Montalban block, and so on? As a kid I had never heard those names, but now whenever I hear the name "Sonny Bono" I don't think of the politician or the ex-other half of Cher, I think of Judge Dredd and Ron Smith art.

Not only is it a great educational tool, but it's a huge compliement to those celebs that they will still be remembered and honoured a hundred years hence. Albeit in hellish tenements inhabited by the ignorant unwashed, but they, that's showbusiness. I just wanted to record my vote that the block names were a really cool detail and one of the very satisfying things about reading comics.

Muffy

Dredds development

Post by Muffy »

Yes, looking at the early 1977 Dredd's there is hardly any background details drawn until The Cursed Earth saga, but by 1979 details like the Block names, other Judges being named, things like perps being put into suspended animation; lack of jobs (remember how easy it was for Dredd to get a job as a road sweep when he quit as a judge! in the early progs); Ugly clinic; bizarre game shows were coming through and more I liked Ron Smiths background details of blocks and spaghetti junction-like roads, though for art style preferred Bolland and McMahon :P

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

What is Ron Smith doing now I haven't seen any new work from him in years?
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I too remember the Block names with fondness. Sometimes, it was a case of seeing which block name was the most topical. :lol: But others made me go and search out some of the more obscure names that featured to find that these were the influences on the writers and the artists as they were growing up.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Mega city tower blocks were educational

Post by Kashgar »

Cap Haggis wrote:What is Ron Smith doing now I haven't seen any new work from him in years?
As he's over eighty I think he might well have retired but you never know.

Cap Haggis

Post by Cap Haggis »

Strange I always associated his art style as that of a young gun (well about in his mid/late 50s now) I didn't realise Mr Smith was in his 80s - my first memory of his work was in the Hotspur (Tin Teacher I think) I had no idea he was active much before the 1970's period - well, considering all the great artwork and the fun he's given people the man deserves a well earned retirement.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

tolworthy

Post by tolworthy »

Kashgar wrote:As he's over eighty I think he might well have retired but you never know.
I wish they hadn't decided to make Dredd real time. Then Ron Smith would still be forty.

For me, Ron Smith was always THE Dredd Artist. I think it was a kinder, gentler, more fun approach that appealed to me, and with such detail and amazing draughtsmanship. I really should get hold of some of those Daily Star compilations again. They're among my all-time favourite comics.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I should think everybody knows this, but The Dredd Files, which has been going on and off in the 'Meg for years, explains who the "blocks" are. Or there's wikipedia XD

If i'm ever famous and they name a block after me, i'll demand a sculpture of it XD

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

RON SMITH is an astonishingly accomplished artist....my earliest memories of his work is on late-6os girl's comics, involving NAZIS....[it's true]........evidently, he served during WWII, so it is feasible that he has reached OCTEGEAN age.........long may you prosper, RON........signed, A FAN.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

felneymike wrote:I should think everybody knows this, but The Dredd Files, which has been going on and off in the 'Meg for years, explains who the "blocks" are. Or there's wikipedia XD

If i'm ever famous and they name a block after me, i'll demand a sculpture of it XD

John Wagner once used a location in Dredd as being "on the corner of Stringer and Brickman". Unfortunately I no longer have that copy of 2000AD and I can't remember the issue number. (Must be mid to late eighties.) If anyone knows which issue that was I'll try to track it down.

Actually it should turn up in those chunky Dredd reprints soon, if it hasn't already.

Lew