STARLORD NOW INCORPORATING 2000AD?!

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

Read the Megazine and was shocked to find that Starlord had a larger readership than 2000AD when the titles merged!

Always thought it was the pinnacle of sci-fi comics!

Christian
Superhero Store
http://www.superherostore.co.uk
comics, books & videos

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 31/12/2002

Old Forum Fella

Starlord was just a great comic! It was well produced, had great stories and plenty of colour, which for a 1970's British comic was very unusual. I'm glad it's finally being recognised as the excellent publication that it was.

Originally posted by eBay Man on the old forum on 31/12/2002

Old Forum Fella

Had a happy few hours browsing through my old copies of Starlord... What a great comic this was, especially with the start of Strontium Dog.
Shocked to read that sales figures at the time favoured Starlord as you always assume the bigger comic swallows the smaller. Mind you, Stalord certainly had much higher production values. Either internal politics (were the editors on both comics kept on?) or maybe it was hoped this would boost 2000AD sales and also save costs.... Starlord may have had the greater sales but I wonder if it making a profit compared with the cheaper 2000AD?

Originally posted by Andy on the old forum on 02/01/2003

Old Forum Fella

This has to be the conspiracy theory of the late 20th century..comics-wise,anyway.I was always amazed that this sterling title became subordinate to the infinitely sub-standard 2000ad!Two other things amaze me-why am I the only person to have put an entry in the Memory Lane section and why are there no StarLord devoted web sites!?!

Originally posted by Captain Storm on the old forum on 11/05/2003

Old Forum Fella

It does not surprise me that Starlord had a higher readership than 2000AD. Up until the merger, 2000AD contained some strips of very average quality - Ant Wars, new Dan Dare, Death Planet. I don't even think that Invasion, Flesh, Inferno and early Judge Dredds can compete with the high quality of Starlord strips - even the Starlord Future Shock "Good Morning Sheldon" is excellent. I assume 2000AD was much cheaper to produce in volume so it was favoured by IPC. But as I say elsewhere, it should still be called 2000AD AND Starlord

Originally posted by Westland Whirlwind on the old forum on 08/06/2004