I'm Loving 2000AD at the Moment

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Little Squelchy Thing

Re: I'm Loving 2000AD at the Moment

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

Digifiend wrote:
SID wrote:Who loved Prog 2011? I did. :up:
:? Why do they use following year as the issue number for the last issue of the year? Eventually, the regular numbering sequence will catch up, and those numbers will be duplicated.
I think it's to make it more of an event, like the Yearbooks of old, but as they ditched them a while back, the end of year progs sort of fill that void.

And I wouldn't worry about the numbering, when you think about it mathematically they won't be catching up any time soon - plenty of time to figure out a solution. But then, when they faced the age-old dilemma of what to call the comic when 2000AD finally rolled around as an actual year, that proved to be a non-issue as well! :D

Also: YES! Prog 2011 was fabulous, really enjoyed it.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

They will be catching up any time soon! Somebody worked out that, if things carry on the way they do, "Prog 2012" and Prog 2012 will appear about a month apart!

Little Squelchy Thing

felneymike wrote:They will be catching up any time soon! Somebody worked out that, if things carry on the way they do, "Prog 2012" and Prog 2012 will appear about a month apart!
No they won't - we're only on prog 1715 right now, aren't we? So if we assume there's an issue a week for the rest of the year (just for argument's sake), that's another 51 issues left meaning we'll be around about prog 1767 at the end of the year, when the year-end Prog 2012 comes out.

I think the nearest we'll get is in 2016, when the prog with that number should hit around about October-ish, a couple of months before the similarly-numbered year-end special.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Little Squelchy Thing wrote:
felneymike wrote:They will be catching up any time soon! Somebody worked out that, if things carry on the way they do, "Prog 2012" and Prog 2012 will appear about a month apart!
No they won't - we're only on prog 1715 right now, aren't we? So if we assume there's an issue a week for the rest of the year (just for argument's sake), that's another 51 issues left meaning we'll be around about prog 1767 at the end of the year, when the year-end Prog 2012 comes out.

I think the nearest we'll get is in 2016, when the prog with that number should hit around about October-ish, a couple of months before the similarly-numbered year-end special.
Which is only five years away. Besides, I never said it would be soon, I said eventually.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Ah maybe it was Prog 2016 that the letter writer was talking about. It was quite a long time ago!

Oh yeah it's the world that's ending in 2012, but we can go to Mercury and carry on buying the Galaxy's Greatest there. Don't forget the crystal suits!

Little Squelchy Thing

Digifiend wrote:Which is only five years away. Besides, I never said it would be soon, I said eventually.
I wasn't disagreeing with you! I'm just saying, I'm sure they'll find a sneaky work-around, they've got five years to plan it :D

(But as felneymike points out, the world will have ended by then anyway!)