New Judge Dredd comic

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

I first found out in 2000AD and then read this of the net:

Swierczynski and Daniel to Helm JUDGE DREDD

Saturday, Jul 14th, 2012

The acclaimed creators will take readers to Mega-City One this winter!

San Diego, CA (July 14, 2012) – After announcing their partnership with the legendary 2000 AD at WonderCon 2012, IDW Publishing is proud to announce Duane Swierczynski and Nelson Daniel as the creative team for their brand-new JUDGE DREDD series! The announcement was made to a capacity crowd during a panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2012 celebrating Dredd’s 35th anniversary.

”I’ve loved the work both Duane and Nelson have done for us separately—they’ve both been responsible for some amazingly action-packed and thrilling comics like Godzilla and The Cape,” said IDW’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Ryall. “So partnering them on Judge Dredd is only going to amp up the excitement here.

“What’s more,” Ryall continued, “while Nelson will be running point on the main story’s art and colors, we’ll also be doing back-up stories in each issue that are tied to the ongoing storyline and that will be illustrated by some big-name talents as well. Folks like Paul Gulacy, Jim Starlin, and many others. Add to that covers by people like Ashley Wood, Carlos Ezquerra, Zach Howard, Whilce Portacio, and so many others, and there will be lots of exciting new artistic interpretations of Dredd to come.”

2000 AD’s Matt Smith echoed Ryall’s excitement “Ever since we announced the deal with IDW, Dredd fans all over the world have been eagerly awaiting news of which writer and artists will be coming to Mega-City One. We're really pleased with the creative line-up, which will bring a new dimension to Dredd for a whole new generation. It's been great to see the reaction 2000 AD and Judge Dredd have had at SDCC 2012--and with the new film out in September, 2012 really is the year of DREDD!"

IDW’s JUDGE DREDD series will see new adventures from the legendary character—originally created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra for the lauded British anthology magazine 2000 AD—who has seen a long and storied career as one of comics’ most popular and enduring characters. For this take on Dredd, IDW and 2000 AD wanted to put creators behind the wheel that hadn’t worked with the character before, creating new stories that would appeal to new Dredd fans, as well as long-time lovers of the rich world of Mega City One.

“I discovered Judge Dredd at the tender age of 15 through a somewhat unlikely source: a bootleg Commodore 64 game where you move Dredd through a digital Mega-City One and pretty much shoot everything in sight. Jonesing for more, I realized that Dredd was a UK import, and super-tough to find here in the U.S. Over the next 25 years, I snapped up all the Dredd stories that I could, savoring them like exotic treats smuggled through customs,” Swierczynski enthused. “When IDW announced an American version a while back, I was over the moon -- never even thinking that I would be approached to write this new version. Needless to say, this is the opportunity of lifetime, and I couldn't be more thrilled. The 15-year-old in me may never recover.”

Daniel shared in the excitement “Judge Dredd is one of my three favourite characters, I'm really excited. Everything in Megacity is amazing, everything is possible, and that's something I want to draw.”

Citizens, consider yourselves advised; this November, comics are the law!

I must admit, I did like the DC version years back (though I did treat it as a parallel Dredd rather than canon). So I am looking forward to getting the first issue this month.
Attachments
1st issue of new comic
1st issue of new comic
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: New Judge Dredd comic

Post by SID »

Well my copy came through the post from a seller on eBay today. I liked it but will need to read a few issues before I decide if I want to read it regularily.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

I got this too, and I wasnt very impressed, the art was OK, and the story was a bit Dredd by numbers. I will pick up a few issues and give it a chance, but I wouldnt have high hopes for it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I read the first 10 years of Dredd, then stopped around the time 2000 AD changed paper stock and introduced more modern colour.

I caught up with a lot of the more modern stories very recently, and although there is definitely still points of interest and stunning artwork, the stories are less intruiging-----and more of a 'mash-up' of previous successful elements-----than was seen in the early days, although this could just be me becoming too familiar with the concept----35 years is an Eternity for any comics character, and to get this far with all-'new' stories is remarkable, although it's perfectly reasonable to expect a lot of 'retreaded' ideas, unfortunately.

I don't think the concept has advanced all that dramatically since the late 80s: a lot of the stories just became 'weird' and lacking in characterization.... still worth a look, but not a great deal to show for 25 years of creativity [in comparison to the first ground-breaking decade]: I do wish this new sideshoot all the best, though.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Its funny how tastes differ, I have been reading 2000ad since the late 300s and personally the last 10 years has seen the best Dredd stories EVER.
Broad statement, and I know a lot would disagree, but John Wagner is on fire with the character, clones, Vienna, Rico, Dredds doubt, Chaos Bug, terrorism, corruption, mutant rights.
Dredd as a character has matured and Wagners writing is simply brilliant.
This story does not rest on its lauels.

The same goes for the rest of 2000ad, Matt Smith is now the comics longest serving Ed, real quality art and writing, its definatly in its second golden age, and I say its better now than then because it not constrained by been a childrens comics, but it still retains (most weeks) its all age feel.

David

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Glad you enjoy it, David! I read the entire recent Dredd CHAOS epic in one sitting [!] ---it wasn't bad, but for me it was just Necropolis and Block-Mania revisited---they even brought in the Dark Judges near the end! I was hoping for something even more extreme than Necropolis, but it never arrived------

------the Dredd story with the zombie army of Millions [JUDGEMENT DAY] had great potential, but for me it lacked the imagination and diversity of CURSED EARTH, JUDGE CHILD, etc. There's always something of interest in almost any Dredd story, though: Wagner never fails to come up with some interesting new angle on life in Mega City One----I quite liked the ORIGINS Dredd epic as well.

The strip---and a lot of the comic------looks brilliant, and I like the newer 'Future Shock'-like one-offs. It's still a very inventive comic, and no-one could have predicted it would run all this time, not even the creators.

SID

Post by SID »

Agreed that currently IDW Dredd stories aren't as good 2000AD but we do need to give it a chance.

The trouble with a strip going so long and so strong is that you do expect/hope that the next epic is better than the last. At some point, you are going to be disappointed.

But on the main, his storylines have been entertaining and continues to do so as he gets older and his strip matures. The day they stop will be a very sad day for yours truly. :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I love the idea where Dredd ages in real time: in the 1977 stories, the tales are set in 2099, and Joe Dredd was in his 30s. All this was confirmed in ORIGINS, so Dredd is now in his 70s! Mind you, the technology in the 22nd Century keeps evolving, so they could probably get a major story out of giving Dredd a 'body transplant', that is, putting his active brain into a 20-year-old clone Dredd body!

It's all part of the creativity------the character could go on for a long time yet, and I hope he does.

SID

Post by SID »

I love that aspect of Dredd, ISPY, that his stories are in real-time.

I just bought issues 2, 3, 4 and 5 (pre-order) of the new Judge Dredd comic from eBay.

BTW, has anyone seen the signed Brian Bolland Judge Dredd books at Forbidden Planet in London? Hopefully I am getting a copy for my birthday.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The above cover of the new comic looks fine, and in keeping with the Dredd Universe: so, is there any main difference between this newer offshoot, the 'regular' 2000 AD version, and the Megazine incarnation?

I remember a 'kiddie tie-in' comic in 1995 that cashed in on the live-action Stallone Dredd film---the characters were redesigned to match the look of the actors' costumes---a bad move, I thought---I bet this new comic is more authentic Dredd.

SID

Post by SID »

Since I have only read the first issue, too early to tell.

I hoping that it will keep to the status quo and that IDW doesn't "mess" with him.

Apart from the Judge Dredd, Lawman of the Future kiddie comic for us, do you remember DC bringing out two comics in the mid to late 90s - Judge Dredd and Judge Dredd - Legends of the Law for the American market? I think I have a number of them but it has been an age (again before the turn of the century) but I do remember I quite liked them though never as good as the "real thing".
Attachments
jd-dc.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This is a new diversion for me, Sid, but around 1983 there were USA imported collections of earlier Dredd material I used to buy-----can't remember the title of the series, but the reprints were formatted smaller, and with less than satisfactory 'color' that often made for muddy, confusing reproduction........they often had excellent Brian Bolland covers, though.

SID

Post by SID »

You mean the Quality/Eagle UK reprints for the US?
Attachments
1332010895-2815-0.jpg

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Looks similar, Sid---I had the very early versions.....this is a later Steve Dillon cover, I think.

SID

Post by SID »

I know the ones you mean and yes it is.

(Added another cover).
Attachments
EAGLECOMICS-2000AD.png