New Dredd Movie?

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

babington

New Dredd Movie?

Post by babington »

Alex Garland says a Dredd sequel is not off the table. To express your support for another film, go to this Facebook page and "like" it:

https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequ ... ion=stream

For Garland's comments, see:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/2 ... or-dredd-2

What would you like to see in the sequel?

starscape

Re: New Dredd Movie?

Post by starscape »

I always thought Strontium Dog would have worked better. Mad Max meets the X-Men. No back story or explanation required. Nuclear war - lets go!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

babington

Post by babington »

Yup, and Robo-Hunter, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors and Nemesis would be pretty good too!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

The recent Dredd film was a credible stab at the concept on an understandably limited budget, and I would love to see some of the early 6-month Dredd epics filmed 'properly'.

Yes, 2000 AD easily has cinematic potential within it's vast archives easily on par with anything by Marvel or DC Comics-------however these other comics' characters are more established within the media and can attract bigger movie investment*.

*Although most non-fans have heard of the name 'JUDGE DREDD' and would recognize his image, ----a theory I tested on family and friends---------the wider masses know next to zilch about Mega City One .......unlike the Batcave, for example, which even the most uninterested non-comic-reading Joe is familiar with.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Yeah, but I don't think you need recognition to be a successful/good movie. Who'd ever heard of Marvel's Blade in the wider world? Result: three movies. Road To Peridition? Even 2000AD's own Hardware/SHOK? It has to be an easily grasped concept and not loaded down by continuity (see Green Lantern for how to fail with that) or by impossible special effects for a non-big budget movie. That's why either Strontium Dog or Rogue Trooper could win over new fans.
STARSCAPE Comic

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

great points, starscape.....

I reckon to do a live-action Dredd movie 'justice' [sorry!] would require a STAR WARS-like budget which is perhaps unrealistic to start with----just imagine the costs of filming CURSED EARTH or JUDGE CHILD the way is read in the comics, , for example!

One way around this [as hinted on here already] would be to firstly finance a hopefully-successful 'other property' from 2000 AD,: we mostly agree that STRONTIUM DOG has great action-thriller potential, that would require a more realistic budget, if it proved a box-office smash, perhaps the profits could be ploughed into an 'all-out' Dredd movie on par with Wagners/Mills/ Bollands/ Ezquerras/Mc Mahons vision.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Related to this thread:

the recent Dredd movie has seen a plorifilation in Dredd-rellated memorabilia, and I reckon these helmets look very tempting indeed----dig that 'street-worn' look!;

The entire saga of Dredd helmet collectibility can be seen here:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.ph ... 04.15.html

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

It's always struck me as odd how 2000Ad and its array of characters never took off with the general public the way Marvel or DC has.

Perhaps they are too quirky of violent for broad tastes.

A shame that Harry Potter is a worldwide phenomenon, but Judge Dredd is perceived by most who have even heard of him as maybe a mere curiosity.

I was personally staggered at the widespread acclaim the last Dredd movie received from the geek community- a level of enthusiasm apparently not shared by ‘most moviegoers’ (a member of whom I rarely consider myself to be).

Was it simply fans of this film has such low expectations after the Stallone fiasco, that an adaptation concerning small-time tax fraud, set within the harrowing walls of a broom cupboard, starring a janitor from the local primary with a bucket on his head, would be heralded as a flawless victory?

Given that Dredd’s world is so fantastical, wouldn’t it have been plain common sense to pitch him against Judge Death rather a punk rocker Lena Headly (yeah, I know she was meant to be Ma Angel).

They had a chance to grab the world by the throat, sell a ton or merchandise etc.

It seems in search of ‘credibility’ they lost sight of what could have given the property Iron Man-level legs in the movie world. Riskier, smaller ventures could have spun out of a financially viable first outing.

What exactly was the point of slo-mo as an effect or narrative? Was it really put to any better use than The Matrix thirteen years earlier?

Why is Anderson a ‘rookie’- have we ever seen her portrayed anywhere else as anything other than Dredd’s equal?

Why did the sets have to look so cheap? The trailers looked awful in that regard and the film didn’t disappoint.

At least they got Dredd himself right, but it doesn’t look good for either future films for 2000Ad’s flagship (and still only ‘well-known’) character, let alone our longed-for depictions of Nemesis, Slaine, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Robo Hunter (yeah, I know you know all the titles, just felt like writing some down).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Michael Anden wrote: Given that Dredd’s world is so fantastical, wouldn’t it have been plain common sense to pitch him against Judge Death rather a punk rocker Lena Headly (yeah, I know she was meant to be Ma Angel).
I haven't seen the movie myself (it didn't screen here in 2D and I don't watch 3D movies) but from what I gather it was a low budget flick, so they perhaps couldn't afford to do justice to Judge Death. (No pun intended.) Also, perhaps it was better to do a standard crime story for the first movie, establishing the tone, as that's what most Dredd stories have been about.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

starscape

Post by starscape »

I thought the Dredd film was terrific. That said, just because he was the best known comic character, doesn't mean he would be best for films. Personally, I'd rate a Strontium Dog, with a Mad Max meets spaghetti western theme, far stronger a potential for the movie world.
STARSCAPE Comic

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I loved the stallone dredd movie ( apart from him showing his face)but this one blew it out of the water as it was so much closer to the source material ( I hope there is a sequel )& always nitpick at marvel films now when they change things & always have to explain to my brother who was the only one never tot reread my comics as a kid,although i do admit not buying american comics properly in about 5 years.
Last edited by big bad bri on 16 Jan 2016, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A FUTURE SHOCKS compendium film might wow 'em in the aisles.

SID

Post by SID »

Both Dredd movies had their merits.

The first film had plenty of flaws. Strangely enough I didn't think Stallone made a bad Dredd. I just wish he kept his helmet on and stopped saying that stupid catch phrase. I also didn't like how they rewrote the history (why do they do that???). The best feature was the city itself which I thought was almost straight out of the comic.

The second movie was more like a typical Dredd storyline and far more grittier than the first. I liked Karl Urban playing the role (he kept his helmet on) though he could have had a larger chin? :lol: I didn't like the city though.

But to be fair, neither movies blew me away even though I am a Dredd fan. I far prefer the plays produced by Big Finish. I wish they would make more of them.

The way I see it is that we were lucky to get two Dredd movies though I would always see the third if one came out.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I thought the modern Dredd film was trying to go "realistic" (Psi judges being mutants, rather than people who just happen to have a special power, as they are in the comics, for instance), so I don't think Judge Death would have worked in the first one. If there is any sequels I hope we first have a big crime-lord with an empire stretching over many blocks (how do the rich live in this miserable city?), and then some more fantastical elements in a third film.

As for a Cursed Earth film, isn't it mostly set in a desert with criminals driving ramshackle vehicles? With CGI backgrounds I reckon it could be done on a fairly low budget. They'd have to reinstate the Burger Wars segment, though!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

felneymike wrote:
As for a Cursed Earth film, isn't it mostly set in a desert with criminals driving ramshackle vehicles? With CGI backgrounds I reckon it could be done on a fairly low budget. They'd have to reinstate the Burger Wars segment, though!

Ah, but I'm sure you yourself know, Mike, that the Cursed Earth story includes extended scenes of stampeding dinosaurs, a Mafia-styled fantasy Las Vegas, all-out war against maurading muties and war robots, scenes of Mega City Two as a vampire-stricken wasteland, the carvings of Mount Rushmore updated to include a mutant leader and Jimmy Carter, packs of rats rotating on a 'belt' of asteroid-like garbage, a sequence set on another planet [Tweaks' story] a cast of hundreds if not thousands, a full-scale landraider to be built, ---and this doesn't even include the probably-never-to-be-filmed sequence with the Jolly Green Giant, etc.

Hardly yer average 'low-budget romp', by any standards......