Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Megazine to reprint other ipc/fleetway stories. 
Author Message

Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50
Posts: 1595
Reply with quote
i just heard on 2000ad thrill cast that rebellion are reprinting a Tornado strip called the lawless touch in the judge dredd megazine 387 mini trade, if stories are too short or too niche for separate graphic novels etc.with plans for other short strips if reproduction goes well.according to editor Matt Smith.


09 Aug 2017, 13:32
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2009, 18:20
Posts: 1138
Location: Suffolk, England
Reply with quote
big bad bri wrote:
i just heard on 2000ad thrill cast that rebellion are reprinting a Tornado strip called the lawless touch in the judge dredd megazine 387 mini trade, if stories are too short or too niche for separate graphic novels etc.with plans for other short strips if reproduction goes well.according to editor Matt Smith.

Excellent news, I've wanted to see Johnny Lawless's adventures reprinted somewhere for years! :D

_________________
http://www.yudu.com/search?query=Crikey!


09 Aug 2017, 16:40
Profile WWW

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Posts: 7041
Reply with quote
More info about that issue here:

https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/judge-dredd-gets-lawless-touch.html


12 Aug 2017, 13:49
Profile WWW

Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50
Posts: 1595
Reply with quote
Looks like I.may have to start buying the megazine again.definetly when they reprint non 2000ad material like lawless touch. which I have never read before, as have never owned an issue of tornado.


13 Aug 2017, 02:17
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Posts: 1456
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Question:. Though it doesn't matter now but didn't Rebellion already own the rights to all the characters in Tornado since it merged with 2000AD?

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


13 Aug 2017, 19:59
Profile YIM

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Posts: 7041
Reply with quote
SID wrote:
Question:. Though it doesn't matter now but didn't Rebellion already own the rights to all the characters in Tornado since it merged with 2000AD?


It's complicated but I think they only owned the characters that the merger had brought over until the recent acquisition.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


13 Aug 2017, 21:58
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Posts: 1456
Location: Mancave.
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:
Question:. Though it doesn't matter now but didn't Rebellion already own the rights to all the characters in Tornado since it merged with 2000AD?


It's complicated but I think they only owned the characters that the merger had brought over until the recent acquisition.

Thanks, Lew. Was that the same with Starlord? Or did they acquire all the comic's characters?

_________________
Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.


14 Aug 2017, 09:37
Profile YIM

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Posts: 7041
Reply with quote
SID wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
SID wrote:
Question:. Though it doesn't matter now but didn't Rebellion already own the rights to all the characters in Tornado since it merged with 2000AD?


It's complicated but I think they only owned the characters that the merger had brought over until the recent acquisition.

Thanks, Lew. Was that the same with Starlord? Or did they acquire all the comic's characters?


Same I think, which is why they've never reprinted Timequake or Planet of the Damned. (They can now though.)

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


14 Aug 2017, 13:47
Profile WWW

Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 17:35
Posts: 22
Reply with quote
Picked up the megazine today . Its great that Lawless comes as a separate comic. Be good to see more like this.


22 Aug 2017, 17:14
Profile

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Posts: 7041
Reply with quote
Retro1972 wrote:
Picked up the megazine today . Its great that Lawless comes as a separate comic. Be good to see more like this.


The Megazine has a bagged extra comic every month. Always 2000AD material up until now but hopefully more old IPC stuff will follow. There must be more short-run adventure strips that would suit that 64 page format. Perhaps they could even venture into reprinting some humour material.

Better still, perhaps reprinting two 32 page classic comics as facsimilies if their readers have a broad enough acceptance of comics to appreciate it?

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


23 Aug 2017, 01:39
Profile WWW

Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 17:35
Posts: 22
Reply with quote
yes I hadnt bought the megazine for about 5 years, but will look out for whats on offer. Its a bit pricey but I am happy to pay if it means getting long lost IPC stuff.


23 Aug 2017, 16:41
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2014, 18:23
Posts: 301
Reply with quote
Lew Stringer wrote:
Retro1972 wrote:
Picked up the megazine today . Its great that Lawless comes as a separate comic. Be good to see more like this.


The Megazine has a bagged extra comic every month. Always 2000AD material up until now but hopefully more old IPC stuff will follow. There must be more short-run adventure strips that would suit that 64 page format. Perhaps they could even venture into reprinting some humour material.

Better still, perhaps reprinting two 32 page classic comics as facsimilies if their readers have a broad enough acceptance of comics to appreciate it?


I think there would need to be some genre overlap for old UK humour strips to be recounted in 2000AD, Lew, otherwise most of its readers might be scratching their heads a little. Off the top of mine, maybe:

Dandy's Brassneck
its Viz parody Tinribs
Marvel UK's Robo Capers (obviously)
Jet's Faceache
Dandy's Desperate Dan
Beano's Billy Whiz (I may be reaching but all three are both technically superhuman in my book)
Oink's Ham Dare (featuring the most vibrant art of any UK humour comic I can recall - RIP Malcolm Douglas AKA J.T. Dogg)
2000AD's Dr & Quinch
Warrior comic's Bojeffries Saga

_________________
http://gods-trilogy.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/Michael_Anden

https://www.facebook.com/michael.anden.90



"I don't know what is true, only what I assume to be true."


24 Aug 2017, 14:13
Profile

Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 08:02
Posts: 286
Reply with quote
Michael - We will not see Brassneck, Desperate Dan or VIS characters in the Rebellion reprints.

Shame though that DCT don't do a Ken Reid annual he done some great stuff for the Dandy in the 60s


24 Aug 2017, 15:42
Profile

Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 17:35
Posts: 22
Reply with quote
Yes I would like to see Wilson the Wonder Athlete, but chances are very slim of DC Thomson ever releasing it.


24 Aug 2017, 18:54
Profile

Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Posts: 7041
Reply with quote
Michael Anden wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
Better still, perhaps reprinting two 32 page classic comics as facsimilies if their readers have a broad enough acceptance of comics to appreciate it?


I think there would need to be some genre overlap for old UK humour strips to be recounted in 2000AD, Lew, otherwise most of its readers might be scratching their heads a little. Off the top of mine, maybe:

Dandy's Brassneck
its Viz parody Tinribs
Marvel UK's Robo Capers (obviously)
Jet's Faceache
Dandy's Desperate Dan
Beano's Billy Whiz (I may be reaching but all three are both technically superhuman in my book)
Oink's Ham Dare (featuring the most vibrant art of any UK humour comic I can recall - RIP Malcolm Douglas AKA J.T. Dogg)
2000AD's Dr & Quinch
Warrior comic's Bojeffries Saga



I would hope that the Megazine's readers would be mature enough to appreciate non-SF content in the bagged reprint. The Lawless Touch has no fantasy elements at all, so there's always a possibility for any genre hopefully.

Thanks for considering my Robo-Capers and Ham Dare as suitable for reprinting! The latter might be in with a chance in the Meg, hopefully. Not that I've heard of anything. Robo-Capers is still owned by Marvel, so that's not going to happen.

Ken Reid's Faceache is coming soon, in a nice hardback from Rebellion.

_________________
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/


25 Aug 2017, 12:41
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.