Who was that masked man?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Who was that masked man?

Post by colcool007 »

OK, now that all of you are turning around and saying "That was no masked man, that was the Lone Ranger!" I can honestly say that I have got your attention! :lol:

Just working my way through 1984 Victors and it has eventually struck me that the artist that illustrated Alf Tupper's bid to get himself fit for the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in 1970 after breaking both legs is the same artist that illustrated Joe Bones foray in Mafia controlled Sicily during WW2. Now the question is, who was that artist?

To add a little colour, canny DCT dusted off the Alf Tupper story so that they could reuse it when the Commonwealth Games were again held in Edinburgh in 1986!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Who was that masked man?

Post by Kashgar »

Ted Rawlings Col. Very prolific artist on Victor. From memory I think his first strip for the paper was 'The Dragon Flag' in 1962/1963 although he had been drawing for the Thomson comics and girls papers since the mid 1950's. In the Thomson artroom he was given the uniquely Scottish nickname of 'Tarry Rope' because of his unmistakably strong pen-line. I've always loved his work.

Captain Storm

Who was that masked man?

Post by Captain Storm »

To assist in this debate I thought I'd help in throwing this episode up on the forum.It may help in arriving at a conclusion re the artist/writer/;

[IMG:100:165]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/83/01rd8.th.jpg[/img]
[IMG:101:165]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/364/02tx9.th.jpg[/img]
[IMG:104:165]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4720/03qr5.th.jpg[/img]

I believe where possible the providing of scans for this purpose can be better in jogging collective minds than talking about this style or that...picture better than a 1000 words an' all that.. :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Who was that masked man?

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Ted Rawlings Col. Very prolific artist on Victor. From memory I think his first strip for the paper was 'The Dragon Flag' in 1962/1963 although he had been drawing for the Thomson comics and girls papers since the mid 1950's. In the Thomson artroom he was given the uniquely Scottish nickname of 'Tarry Rope' because of his unmistakably strong pen-line. I've always loved his work.
Kash, again you are there to the rescue. I am always surprised to see how styles seem to differ when they are coloured in as I am willing to put good money (well 2 bob!) on the fact that Ted was the artist for my Lion that sleeps tonight in the Victor true stories. I have always enjoyed Ted Rawlings' style as his style seems to be a cross between an illustrator and an artist (as in the poor, starved, slaving away in a garret type)

'Tarry Rope' Now that's a great nickname! :D

Cap, your scans prove that Kash is on the money..again. If he wasn't so damn good, I would...er...struggle to identify half the styles that I know! :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!