Bert Vandeput - D.C. Thomson artist.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

VictorHornet

Bert Vandeput - D.C. Thomson artist.

Post by VictorHornet »

Hello,

Can anyone provide me with any biographical information about Bert Vandeput please? Such as nationality, other work he produced, trivia information and so on. A photograph would be nice if available. Vandeput drew many of The Victor football and cricket strips, as well as other non-sport stories.

An example of his work is below. Thanks.
Attachments
Bert Vandeput, D.C. Thomson artist.
Bert Vandeput, D.C. Thomson artist.

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Bert Vandeput - D.C. Thomson artist.

Post by Kashgar »

Hi VH, I did a small biog of Bert Vandeput for the old Comic Journal published by Alan Cadwallender about twenty years ago. As the issue in question isn't to hand from memory I can tell you that Bert was born in Britain (Liverpool comes to mind) but was of Dutch extraction. Before turning to picture strip work he was an art teacher in a Catholic school in Liverpool. Before he came to work for Thomsons in the early 1960's he spent the latter half of the 1950's providing artwork for AP's Tiger and in particular the Roy of the Rovers strip. As you know he was particularly associated at Thomsons with strips in a similar vein eg football/cricket ( I have a complete index of his Thomson work laying about somewhere that was never published). Bert died in 1973 while still only in his early fifties. If I find the Comic Journal in question I'll post a few more details.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

What ever happened to the Comics Journal (UK version - the original I think) there was talk a few years back of it being re published?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just checked and Bert (Albert) Vandeput was actually born in London in 1915.

VictorHornet

Post by VictorHornet »

Many thanks Kashgar.