Woolcock, Turnbull & Lupatelli: the three Good Frog Artists.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Woolcock & Turnbull: the two Good Frog Artists.

Post by philcom55 »

That first Mimi & Marmy example looks rather like Woolcock but I'd say the second one is by a different artist altogether.

Here are a couple more examples - interestingly enough both from the 1964 Playhour Annual.

The fact that these two unsigned strips were apparently drawn at the same time makes it easier to compare them without worrying about an artist's style changing over time. Taking that into account it seems to me that the first is unquestionably the work of Peter Woolcock, while the second looks a lot like Turnbull - though, of course, I could be completely wrong about either.

- Phil Rushton

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I think you're right, Phil, the second Mimi And Marmy looks like Turnbull. Turnbull's art has characteristic "peanutty" shapes in it, Woolcock's is made of straightish lines and ovoids.

Who was the usual artist for "Fun In Toyland" in early 60's Jack And Jill? Maybe he (or she) drew the "Freddie Frog" snowman story. It doesn't quite look like Woolcock or Turnbull, though it's imitating Turnbull's style.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

suebutcher wrote:Who was the usual artist for "Fun In Toyland" in early 60's Jack And Jill? Maybe he (or she) drew the "Freddie Frog" snowman story. It doesn't quite look like Woolcock or Turnbull, though it's imitating Turnbull's style.
That's definitely possible Sue. I think the main 'Fun in Toyland' artist was Antonio Lupatelli, who also drew the early epsodes of 'Moony from the Moon' in Harold Hare's Own Paper.

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

The scans below 'One day when the sun was shining' are another story that Peter Woolcock worked on in the mid to late seventies for 'Toby' comic.
Attachments
One.day.1.jpg
One.day.2.jpg

wigwam

Post by wigwam »

Hi Matrix,

From which number of Playhour do the scans from Willow Wood come from?
Which date in March 1956?

Best,

John

matrix

Post by matrix »

Hi John,

No 77, march 31st, 1956.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Confirmation of Lupatelli drawing 'Freddie Frog'. Well done to Sue, and Phil, for the earlier post. Just for the record these examples are three years earlier (1960), than the Turnbull examples.
Attachments
F.Frog.1.jpg
F.Frog.2.000.jpg
F Frog 3.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Excellent! Your sterling research into the tangled subject of 'Frogart' is truly invaluable Matrix! On the basis of that example I think we can provisionally assume that Peter's pages were indeed drawn by Lupatelli. As a matter of interest here's another rare example of his signed strips - this time from the 1961 Harold Hare Annual featuring 'Moony from the Moon'.

As far as I can gather it now seems that Freddie's earliest strips were drawn by Peter Woolcock, with Antonio Lupatelli replacing him at some point during the mid 1950s. Then, from about 1958, another Italian artist called Sergio Asteriti says that he began to assist Lupatelli prior to taking over the strip altogether for a while. Looking at these two pages from 1957 and 1959 respectively I'd say that the first is almost certainly Lupatelli's work, while the second (and, to my eye, inferior) page is likely to have been a solo effort by his former assistant.

Since Asteriti says that he left the strip in 1960 Peter's 'snowman' story suggests that Lupatelli himself may have returned for a time during the early 1960s until Douglas Turnbull took over the reins from about 1962. Of course, this doesn't rule out the possibility that there were a number of other, as-yet unidentified artists working on the strip during this period as well.

Incidentally, I bought another job lot of cheap artwork yesterday which included several more Freddie the Frog pages by Turnbull, and I have to say that these only reinforce my growing regard for him as the very best of Freddie's artists. The amazing thing is that, while Woolcock, Lupatelli and Asteriti all have personal entries on reference sites such as the Lambiek Comicopedia, Turnbull himself appears to be virtually unknown - and would, in all likelihood, have continued to be confused with his fellow frog artists for years to come if Matrix hadn't brought those signatures to our attention! :)

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Re: Woolcock, Turnbull & Lupatelli: the three Good Frog Arti

Post by matrix »

Your information about the artists involvment with the strip is pretty much on the money Phil, although it does get a bit messy in the early sixties. Turnbull was invoved as early as 1961 and possibly late 1960 although no more signatures at this stage his style like you say stands right out, other artists appear at random through these two years, if I aquire any more information I will let you know.

Any chance of seeing some of your new artwork? I particularly like his work that involves a water scene.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

shall I change it then to Antonio Lupatelli..the snowman one at my blog..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

matrix wrote:Any chance of seeing some of your new artwork? I particularly like his work that involves a water scene.
Here are a couple of frames from one of Freddie's more aquatic escapades:

Having picked up a load of frog artwork last week I stumbled across yet another stash today. Goodness knows where I'm going to put it all, but at less than £4 a page I really couldn't say no! :)
Peter Gray wrote:shall I change it then to Antonio Lupatelli..the snowman one at my blog..
It's hard to be sure (apparently Gordon Hutchings also drew some Freddie strips during this period). I think I'd hedge my bets by saying it was 'probably' by Lupatelli.

- Phil R.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Nice pieces Phil, and so cheap! I'd like to know what Freddie is saying to Terry before he blows his suit up! They are drawn so well. Freddie looking out of his mask like that reminds me of 'Mr Toad' in his space suit, which I have somewhere? Amazing the adventures these characters went on!

Is that Turnbull Phil, one minute I think it is, then I'm not so sure? Did you get any signatures with them?

matrix

Post by matrix »

Found it! Here he is 'Mr Toad' in his space suit! Can't help but have a laugh at some of these stories!
Attachments
Mr.Toad.zoomy.jpg
Mr toad 12.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phil, here is the page that includes your 'Freddie' artwork above. Not sure if you have seen the whole page before? I thought it may help with the artist if you have not.
As you can see from the scan it's dated 22/7/67. I do not think it is a reprint?
Attachments
Freddie.Frog.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks for posting that page Matrix. I do have all the frames but they're remounted on a board stamped with the date September 1981 - presumably the last time that strip was reprinted. I suspect you're right that 1967 was the first printing (though a prior appearance in 62 or 63 wouldn't be out of the question).

Although it isn't signed I'm pretty sure it is by Turnbull. Looking at this enlarged scan of the first frame gives a fascinating impression of his masterful brushwork (reminding me in a funny sort of way of the great Will Eisner), as well as showing just how much subtlety tended to be lost during the transition from original art to printed page.

- Phil Rushton