R T NIXON

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

Post by Old Forum Fella »

any one know anything about robert t nixon, web sites etc

Originally posted by Dathi on the old forum on 21/08/2003

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

I take it you mean the Beano artist Robert T Nixon (not sure if there is another one - no web sites for him that I am aware of but if you go into Fleetway St (I think you can link via Comics UKs LINKS page) you can see som eof his work - All I know about him is he recently died - the first I was aware of his work was for IPC/Flletway on literally hundreds of strips his most famous for them being taking over Frankie Stein from the brillaint Ken Reid - he also did such strips for titles such as Super Steve, Stage School, Fun- Fear, Kid Kong and Family Trees among others - he then moved to DC Thomsons where he took over another Ken Reid classic Rodger the Dodger, and I think he created Ivy the Terrible as well as workign on Korky the Cat and others. You can still pick his work up cheaply in most any 1980s comic (probably before) such as Monster Fun, Whoopee etc although if you can track down old copies of Big Comic Fortnightly, Funny Fortnightly and Best of Whizzer and Chips you'll ge tloads of his stuff in that . Like most UK cartioonists pretty underrated and very talanted.

Originally posted by PAUL on the old forum on 21/08/2003

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

I can't believe Robert Nixon is dead. His cartoons are so friendly and lively...especially the animals the Roger the Dodger in this week's Beano is not one of his though. more info appreciated.

Originally posted by Pat on the old forum on 23/08/2003

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

Pat (et al)
I dont know an awful lot about Robert Nixon, other than the info I previously provided, but I tracked down some details from a fanzine - Robert Nixon died on 7 Novemebr 2002 - he was only 63 - He was born near Middlesburgh - in 1964 he joined the Beano and his first assingment was to work on Little Plum (not sure if this was directly after Leo Baxendale left) in 1965 he took over Rodger the Dodger (from ken Reid) - He went freelance lateer that year in 1965 and ghosted many styles -in '68 he took over the art on Lord Snooty (from Watkins) and in 1971 worked on Grandpa (also worked on the Sparky on such strips as Eski Mo and Captain Cutler) Nixon left DC Thomsons in 1972 to work for IPC on loads of strips (as previously noted)I should have added to that list the strip GUMS which was popuilar at th etime as well as King Arthur and his Frights of the Round Table (in Whoopee) - In 1985, after IPC started to cut back on their childrens comics, Nixon re joined DC Thomsons (Rodger the Dodger, Korky, Ivy etc etc) - He also drew 2 strips for his local paper the "Middlesburgh Gazzette" called "Gems" and "The Parkie" (no idea if these were reprinted in that area though) - Nixon also worked in advertising as well as designing greetings cards for Noel Tatt and Company.

Originally posted by PAUL on the old forum on 26/08/2003

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

i bought recently a full run of monster fun, and really loved kid kong,thats wht reminded me of his work, i was also an avid reader of the beano when ivy the terrible came out, a great artist , sorry to hear of his death.anyone know ewhere any of his art can bw bought?

Originally posted by Dathi on the old forum on 24/08/2003

Old Forum Fella

R T NIXON

Hi.
I think there was a piece of Kid Kong art for sale on Ebay UK recently.
It'd been on sale for a while. It may pay to check the 'collectables/comics/original comic art' page regularly.
You could also try http://www.vaultauctions.com

Originally posted by Jim Croasdale on the old forum on 25/08/2003

Peter Gray

R T NIXON

Post by Peter Gray »

I've done a website for him..

http://uk.geocities.com/pjgrobertnixon