Leslie Otway.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matthew emery

Re: Leslie Otway.

Post by matthew emery »

matrix,

Girl of Limberlost commenced the week after heiress of Tangurau finished, Oct 6, 1962 and ran for 14 episodes until first issue of 1963, jan 5th.

First and last instalments below.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 1369447198

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 1369447361

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thank you for the information and scans Matthew, excellent examples!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's a lovely wash technique. For what it's worth I'd say that 'Limberlost' looks far more like Leslie Otway's work than 'Tangurau' - though that doesn't detract from the quality of Matrix's page of original artwork. Whoever drew it it's still a highly desirable piece!

I'm really enjoying your blog btw Matthew. I've always been astonished by the number of outstanding artists Australia and New Zealand seemed to produce at a time when their combined populations were a tiny fraction of the UK and US. In particular I've been a fan of Stanley Pitt ever since I saw his covers for the science fiction magazine Vision of Tomorrow, and Phil Belbin blew me away when I was given a pile of old MAN magazines a couple of years ago. It's a shame that there don't appear to be any collected editions of their work available on this side of the world!

By contrast Leonard Cornwall Mitchell is completely new to me, but I really love the way in which he manages to combine key elements of British and American illustration. Do you know if there have been any good books about antipodean illustrators of the 1950s and 1960s?

- Phil Rushton

matthew emery

Post by matthew emery »

gah! i just lost a massive post, i'll try again tomorrow.

NP

Post by NP »

matthew emery wrote:gah! i just lost a massive post, i'll try again tomorrow.
In 1979 I learned a lesson- it is-HIT SAVE every 5 minutes! It's worth it!!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

* Moved to another thread *
Last edited by philcom55 on 09 Jun 2013, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Getting back to Leslie Otway, I just got one of his gorgeous electric-blue pages of original 'Alona' art at the Birmingham Mart today. :)

...Fantastic - the brushstrokes look so vibrant and spontaneous. I don't know what it is about his use of the blue wash but I have to say that I prefer these pages even to the full-colour ones!

- Phil Rushton

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

I was clearing some old magazines out and came across Mr Otway using - what Phil describes as 'electric blue - great description Phil - in Boy's Own Paper September 1945
You'll just see his signature on the right hand page!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That's great Norman! Funnily enough I picked up another of those 'electric blue' pages at the weekend. Though most of his later work was for girls' comics such as Princess Tina Leslie was a regular contributor to boys' papers and annuals before the war, producing hundreds of illustrations like the one shown below.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:Leslie was a regular contributor to boys' papers and annuals before the war, producing hundreds of illustrations like the one shown below.
That was well spotted Phil- if not for the signature on your colour plate, I'm not sure I would have seen that! Thanks for sharing

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

In June, Leslie Otway drew the last few episodes of a story started by Geoff Campion in #1, "Against All Odds". These panels are from the final episode in June #13 (June 10, 1961).
june (1961-06-10)-08_det.png

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

In June, Leslie Otway drew the last few episodes of a story started by Geoff Campion in #1, "Against All Odds". These panels are from the final episode in June #13 (June 10, 1961).
I tracked down a scan online and thought I'd share the whole episode Tristan.Well spotted!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

For such an excellent artist Otway really deserves to be better known. I'm also finding a surprising number of stories he drew for Fleetway's Picture Libraries aimed at girls and women.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote:For such an excellent artist Otway really deserves to be better known. I'm also finding a surprising number of stories he drew for Fleetway's Picture Libraries aimed at girls and women.
I remember how much I loved reading sister's Princess Tina for Otway's lovely artwork. If you're able Phil, we'd love to see some. I have a hardback children's book somewhere so will try and dig that out too

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

It is indeed lovely stuff Phil, as you say. We shall have to try to ensure that his name is revived rather than forgotten!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.