Anybody know the artist?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dandy mad

Re: Anybody know the artist?

Post by dandy mad »

Looks as though this mystery has been solved this from The Art And History Of The Dandy....
365631586.463750.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Well spotted!

Is that the Pip, Squeak & Wilfred artist (and grandfather of the well-known Viz publisher) I wonder...?

- Phil Rushton

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

philcom55 wrote:Well spotted!

Is that the Pip, Squeak & Wilfred artist (and grandfather of the well-known Viz publisher) I wonder...?

- Phil Rushton
Wasn't it Austin Bowen Payne that drew Pip Squeak & Wilfred?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

dandy mad wrote:
Wasn't it Austin Bowen Payne that drew Pip Squeak & Wilfred?
Well, I know that A.B. Payne was the original artist, and that the current John Brown's grandfather (and the late Sir John Brown's father) is supposed to have drawn the strip. What I don't know is whether this was Payne himself. (I'll have to see if I can dig up my History of Viz to check) :?

- Phil R.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Unfortunately the Viz History doesn't mention Pip, Squeak & Wilfred at all, but trawling through various internet entries for the late Sir John Brown reveals the following facts:
Sir John Gilbert Newton [Bruno] Brown, Kt, CBE, publisher, Vice
President, Blackwell Group since 1987, died 3 March, 2003. He was 86.

He was born 7 July, 1916, the son of John and Molly Brown, of Chilham,
Kent.
and:
John Gilbert Newton Brown was born on July 7 1916. His father drew the Daily Mirror's strip cartoon "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred", while his mother wrote children's books.

in 1987, his son John set up his own magazine publishing firm, he was appointed to the board and found himself publisher of the mischievous comic Viz.
...From this it seems that there was indeed a 'John Brown' who drew Pip, Squeak & Wilfred at some point (possibly after Payne retired in 1939). However, it remains to be seen whether this was the same John Brown who drew Hair Oil Hal in 1940 (it is, after all, a common name).

- Phil Rushton

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Well done Dandy mad you solved your own case. Just about reprint characters, Nancy and Ferdinand appeared on the front and back of the Topper Annuals.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well, technically Morris Heggie did, since he's the author of The Art and History of the Dandy and therefore the one who was responsible for updating Ray Moore's index.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Sam Fair or not Sam Fair in this Meddlesome Matty strip from the Dandy Monster Comic 1944 for me it doesn't look in the style of Fair at all ok it's similar but that's about it so begs the question again anybody know the artist?
366302391.111758.jpg
Edit: Here is an example of Sam Fairs Meddlesome Matty from the same annual and as you can see the 2 strips have different styles
366304629.023906.jpg