Harry Harrison RIP

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Harry Harrison RIP

Post by philcom55 »

It was bad enough losing Joe Kubert this week but I've now heard that Harry Harrison has passed away as well. Though best known as the author of classic SF books such as the Stainless Steel Rat and the Deathworld series (both adapted by other writers for British comics) this multi-talented American writer/editor/artist was unusual amongst his generation in that he regularly worked for comics on both sides of the Atlantic when such a thing was almost unheard of. Starting out as Wally Wood's artistic partner he drew a number of well-received stories for America's famous EC Comics before deciding to concentrate on writing. Thereafter he went on to script some of the most memorable adventures of Flash Gordon in the US as well as a whole squadron of British space heroes which included Jeff Hawke, Rick Random and Brett Million. He also created and scripted the crime-fighting magician Merlo for Boys' World.

The word 'legend' is tossed around all-too casually in the world of comics these days, but in the case of Joe Kubert and Harry Harrison I've no doubt that it is wholly appropriate. The sad thing is that after this week we won't be able to call either of them 'living legends' any more...! :(

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Harry Harrison RIP

Post by colcool007 »

That's not fair. Harry was one of the last original SF authors. His humour books were brilliant. And his spoof Star Smashers Of The Galaxy Rangers still reads brilliantly. I will miss him.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

davidandrewsimpson

Re: Harry Harrison RIP

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

There's a massive 1972 interview with Harrison at http://www.michaelowencarroll.com/hh/co ... erview.htm for those who'd like to read it.