Enrique Romero

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

peace355

Enrique Romero

Post by peace355 »

Looking for confirmation that a story “Queen of the Planet of Flowers” featuring Juno and Karla from DIANA ANNUAL 1973 was illustrated by Enrique Romero?

Shaqui

Re: Enrique Romero

Post by Shaqui »

The strip is a bit sketchier than usual but yes, I would say that's his style.
Attachments
Queen03.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

If Romero was the standard Supercats artist then I would agree. I recognise the style, but would not have been able to name the artist in a 100 years!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

There was another Romero strip, 'The Fab Four', which appears in the Diana annuals for 1974 and 1975.
Attachments
FabFour01.jpg

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for the confirmation and the additional examples of his work :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

According to David Roach the 'Super Cats' stories in Spellbound were drawn by Jorge B. Galvez, whose style is almost indistinguishable from that of his cousin Enrique Romero. Although they worked together for years on many romance strips for the British market I'd guess that Enrique was being kept busy by the Modesty Blaise strip for most of the 1970s so that the stories which appeared in various Diana Annuals during that period are more likely to be collaborations or Jorge's own work. On the other hand, some of them could be 100% Romero - it's hard to be sure. :?

- Phil Rushton

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

That might explain the sketchiness of this work Phil. I'll have to keep an open mind regarding this, especially when David Roach (allegedly) identified pages of Kim Raymond's work for 'Look-in' as being Romero as well!

:shock:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's another example of Galvez/Romero artwork from the 1977 Diana Annual - though I must admit that this one displays rather more of the 'attributes' normally associated with Romero - particularly in his 'Axa' strip for The Sun! :shock:

...Incidentally, does anyone agree with me that poor old Fauna got a bit short-changed when the 'special talents' were being handed out? ("Throw down your weapons and come out quietly or I'll turn purple!" :) )

- Phil Rushton

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Here's another example of Galvez/Romero artwork from the 1977 Diana Annual - though I must admit that this one displays rather more of the 'attributes' normally associated with Romero - particularly in his 'Axa' strip for The Sun! :shock:
Yes, I could be wrong but Romero's style uses finer lines and more detail, if we're comparing to the artwork discussed above which may be by Jorge Galvez. Perhaps, as you state they did work together, it depended who did the final inks?

Such studio collaborations were not unknown, and explain the varying quality of work by (for example) Carlos Pino and Vicente Alcazar on 'Star Trek', and also the set-ups of Gerry Embleton/Peter Ford, etc.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

One thing here: Jorge B. Galvez is the pseudonym of Jorge Badia Romero, BROTHER, not cousin of Enrique B. Romero or Enrique Romero or Enric Badia Romero. I knoe this for a fact as I am friends with his son Oscar Badia. Jordi Badia (Jorge Badía, jordi is the catalan name for jorge as Enric s for Enrique) chose to use that pseudonym while he worked for the UK market through Selecciones Ilustradas, one of the international agencies for Spanish Artists. His brother decided to use only romero.
Jorge's women are thinner and their eyes kind of bigger and he did most of Lady Penelope's strips.
Here is a small bio: http://www.tebeosfera.com/autores/jorge_b_galvez.html
and here the one of Romero: http://www.tebeosfera.com/autores/romero.html

I actualy own an original from Jorge Badia. And god, I love it!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks Ruth. I'd heard Jorge variously described as Enrique's brother and his cousin. It's good to be able to set the record straight. :)

- Phil R.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I know. But they were brothers. Jorge was yonger (died very young too). Enrique -thank God- is still working.
Actually jorge's son only found out about his father "notoriety" rather recently. He's a painter... but a painter of walls. you know. When you need your house painted. He knew, of course about his uncle's work, but I think to remember there was some family... distance and he didn't know much about it. The thing is he was painting for a client and he had loads of comics framed in the walls so Oscar just said, "Oh, yeah. My father used to do comics and stuff" so the guy asked him who was his father. When he said "Jordi Badia" the man couldn't believe it! And he actually had some of Jordi's originals so he showed them to his son. Since then he tried to get more information (you see, when his father died he was only a toddler) and now he's trying to get as many originals as he can.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

RuthB wrote:...I actualy own an original from Jorge Badia. And god, I love it!
You know, it's really easy to go off some people! :lol: I am so jealous. I would love to own an original Jorge as well.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

They were really cheap (I thik mine cost me 15 euros). I buy them in an ebay page from france.