Terry Bave's New Book

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Niblet

Re: Terry Bave's New Book

Post by Niblet »

Peter Gray wrote:are there reprints from DC Thomson in the book?
Yes - got mine today. From a quick flick through, it looks really good. The index of Terry's work in weeklies, specials and annuals (as mentioned by Lew above) is great. Glad to see the Cheeky stuff listed!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Terry's wife Shelia write the stories for the comic characters that Terry drew...Terry also wrote them...a good team..

The book sounds great...

What is your favourite terry Bave character?

mine is..Odd Ball...really great fun full of charm..loads of great memories as a kid reading this gem.. :D
Toy Boy has to be a close first as well...i could relate to Toy Boy and not want to grow up like his Dad want him to do..

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

It's hard to pick a fave TB character, but reading the book reminded me how much fun the second series of Scaredy Cat (The Doompussy Hall storyline) was. Don't forget Squeeky!

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

When ever I read my Busters I'm always excited to read the Melvyn's Mirror strip, even though it wasn't drawn by him all the time it was still a great strip.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I received mine today. I'm on page 53 and loving it!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I haven't got mine yet (I think I got the confirmation it as sent last thursday evening).

But I have a question. Is Helpful Hettie his work? It looks very much like it, I think

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure that some of Hettie's strips in Giggle/Buster (possibly the earliest ones) were drawn by Reg Parlett, but I agree that others do look like Terry's work.

This one for example:

- Phil R.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Yes, I know the early ones where done by Reg, but it was also drawn in the late seventies by other artists and I think Terry might be one of them. Also I recognize some of his work that sas published in Spain in some girls comics (that dracula girl, for example)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that IPC reprinted an old series, then commissioned a new artist to carry on when the original strips ran out.

What does anyone else think about the example above?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sammy Shrink was first drawn by the Punch and Jimmy artist Dave Jenner in Wham! but became Terry Bave's own in Whizzer & Chips.

I've just found my original post of the very first Sammy Shrink strip complete with the page.
Just search for "Very first Sammy Shrink strip"

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

my copy is on order - in the meantime can someone have a look to see if "Whacko" features anywhere in the index?

Here's why
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=whacko

cheers
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Richard S. wrote:my copy is on order - in the meantime can someone have a look to see if "Whacko" features anywhere in the index?

Here's why
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=whacko

cheers
No, it doesn't appear.

Here's my review of the book http://cheekyweekly.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... -bave.html

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I still didn't get my copy. I contacted lulu but they say because I got Prioroty mail they're not responsible if it get lost, so they do not refund either.

If it does not come by the end of this week I guess I will be claiming to Pay Pal and reordering again. I will have to wait a few weeks, though because I'm moviing from Limerick to Cork in two weeks and still don't have an address...

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

I'm guessing anyone interested in the classic IPC/Fleetway humour titles has already got this, but if you haven't - I highly recommend it. It reads like a biography of a man doing a job, any job - it just happens to be drawing comics, with a warmth, wit and talent that is refreshingly grounded. I found that there was something honest and magical about Terry and Shiela's strips, back when the machinery of publishing acted as a very efficient sh1t filter, the demarcation of labour allowing creators to just get on and create.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

blaing

Post by blaing »

I bought this before I went on holidays, so I should have it at home by the time I get home next Monday afternoon to read. :D