Jack Glass

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paddy-brown

Jack Glass

Post by paddy-brown »

Well, I'm back, with a slightly different handle. I lost the password to my previous account, but no matter how many times I tried to reset it I never received the reset email. So sod it. My name now has a hyphen in it.

Anyway, I'm still working on my Biographical Dictionary of British Comics at the UK Comics Wiki, and I'm looking for biographical information about Jack Glass, an early DC Thomson adventure artist with an appealingly choppy style. Clark's Dictionary says he was born in Edinburgh, joined DC Thomson in the late 1920s, retired in 1968 and died in Bournemouth in 1973. All pretty clear. Problem is, I can't find his birth or death record at Scotland's People or Genes Reunited. "Jack" usually stands for John but can be a nickname for nearly any name, so I've looked for anyone called Glass in the right place at the right time, and a couple of years either side, and I'm still coming up blank. I did find a John Kirk Glass who was born in Liberton, Edinburgh, on 16 March 1901, and died in Southend on Sea in 1992, but for this to be him Clark would have had to have got the wrong south coast resort by 160 miles and the wrong date by nearly 20 years!

So if anybody knows anything at all about him personally - where he lived, names of his wife or children, anything that might help - it'd be much appreciated.