Comix Creatrix: 100 Women Making Comics

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Comix Creatrix: 100 Women Making Comics

Post by stevezodiac »

looking through the Kensington, Chelsea & Westminster Today free newspaper I came across a mention of this exhibition at King's Cross in London. It runs until May 15. I don't know how to put links on posts so you'll have to google it yourself but the first paprgraph says:

Explore the world of comics through original artwork by 100 women comic creators working across genres and generations - from the 1800s to the present day; from observational comedy to surreal fantasy, challenging biography to subversive dissent.

Its at the House of Illustration which I have never heard of but it might be easier to google that. The paper also has an article about Martin Honeysett who features at the Cartoon museum.

suebutcher

Re: Comix Creatrix: 100 Women Making Comics

Post by suebutcher »

Carol and I are in that show. A bit far away for me to visit, unfortunately.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

I shall be going at some point. I am also involved in trying to put together a discussion item to be run at the House of Illustration, about female creators of girls comics. Mel Gibson will be in the discussion too. I asked Anne Digby but she said no - I've also asked Alison Christie but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone else have other suggestions for people to contact? I'd love to have an artist such as Trini Tinture but it doesn't seem likely that there is an international travel budget sadly.

Congrats Sue on being in it! From what I hear it sounds like a great show.

For those who have ipads, the Sequential comics reader app has published the catalogue of the exhibition, which is available now for free. Not sure if the app is available on other tablets though. http://www.sequential.cc/
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

suebutcher wrote:Carol and I are in that show. A bit far away for me to visit, unfortunately.
I saw the exhibition on Saturday and while it was a bit of a rush for me - I only had about half an hour or just under - it looked like a great exhibition. I really liked the look of your book, Sue! What Paul Gravett / Olivia Ahmad / the gallery had done was to include a shelf underneath the artwork on display, with a copy of the book that it related to, so I could flick through the whole book and admire it.

There was lots of good stuff at the exhibition but not that much that I didn't know at all - yours was one of those, so it was great to see it and expand my horizons a bit.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Thanks!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm hoping to see the show in the near future. As a matter of interest is June Mendoza (another artist with Australian connections) included in the 100?

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:I'm hoping to see the show in the near future. As a matter of interest is June Mendoza (another artist with Australian connections) included in the 100?
No, though she was mentioned by David Roach in the discussion on Sat. The only two artists from girls' comics that are included in the exhibition are Shirley Bellwood and Evelyn Flinders.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It sounds as though there'd be plenty of scope for 'Another 100 Women Making Comics'. :)

I love the strips June did for Girl in the 1950s - quite apart from her previous work for Australian comics. I dare say she isn't very interested in remembering that early phase of her career any more but I wish somebody could persuade her to give an extensive interview about her experiences during those years.