Unknown Artist for British Girls'Comics

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Unknown Artist for British Girls'Comics

Post by philcom55 »

It takes a lot to stump David Roach AND Jenni Scott but this prolific artist of British girls' comics for DC Thomson and IPC has them both baffled. I wonder if anybody here can come up with a name? (Terry Patrick and Neville Wilson have been suggested, but in either case it would involve a surprising change of style from their work for boys' comics)
Attachments
14045920_1012806985500306_7618875972385276331_n.jpg

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Unknown Artist for British Girls'Comics

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:It takes a lot to stump David Roach AND Jenni Scott but this prolific artist of British girls' comics for DC Thomson and IPC has them both baffled. I wonder if anybody here can come up with a name? (Terry Patrick and Neville Wilson have been suggested, but in either case it would involve a surprising change of style from their work for boys' comics)
For some bizarre reason, I am thinking either Dudley Wynn or Bill Lacey.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

colcool007 wrote:For some bizarre reason, I am thinking either Dudley Wynn or Bill Lacey.
I'm pretty sure it's neither of them Col, but that's the trouble when you set out to identify somebody who isn't included in your existing database: you begin to notice similarities in other artists' work and subconsciously try to make them fit the bill instead!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

All I can add is that it isn't Bill Lacey. Sorry Colin.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

More examples on my blog post about this unknown artist https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... ist-merry/ including specific 'gotchas' that I think are very characteristic of this artist.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

philcom55 wrote:It takes a lot to stump David Roach AND Jenni Scott but this prolific artist of British girls' comics for DC Thomson and IPC has them both baffled. I wonder if anybody here can come up with a name? (Terry Patrick and Neville Wilson have been suggested, but in either case it would involve a surprising change of style from their work for boys' comics)
While the rest of the page might not be typical him, the middle frame in the last panel reminds me of Ian Kennedy.

Sir-L

Post by Sir-L »

Ok. Talking to an swedish Comics expert. He reminded me that the Comic I thought of as by Ian Kennedy, accually was by Alberto Salinas. So that's my next suggestion. :)

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/s/salinas_alberto.htm

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Sir-L wrote:Ok. Talking to an swedish Comics expert. He reminded me that the Comic I thought of as by Ian Kennedy, accually was by Alberto Salinas. So that's my next suggestion. :)

I can see some similarities, I'll grant you, though I wouldn't say I am convinced. Hard to tell without looking at more art of course! But I think it is hard to believe that this unknown girls comic artist will turn out to be someone whose name we already knew - I think we will find out a name previously unknown to us. I say that not because I know all the names there are to be known, of course :lol: but because David Roach knows so many names already.

For instance when Terry Aspin was identified as the name of a girls comics artist previously unidentified, this was a name that David Roach hasn't heard before, it was entirely new news.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Sir-L wrote:Ok. Talking to an swedish Comics expert. He reminded me that the Comic I thought of as by Ian Kennedy, accually was by Alberto Salinas. So that's my next suggestion. :)

I will put real money on that artist not being Alberto Salinas. One reason is that it does not look like his style and the second is if that story was first printed in a UK comic after the autumn 1982 then it is definitely not his as he did no work for any British company after April 1982. As he was Argentinian, I think you could guess why...

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

colcool007 wrote:

I will put real money on that artist not being Alberto Salinas. One reason is that it does not look like his style and the second is if that story was first printed in a UK comic after the autumn 1982 then it is definitely not his as he did no work for any British company after April 1982. As he was Argentinian, I think you could guess why...
Good point. The unknown girls comics artist was definitely working for British comics after that date.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

comixminx wrote:Good point. The unknown girls comics artist was definitely working for British comics after that date.
Thinking on it a little more, I can only think of two Argentinian artists that worked for UK comics before and after 1982. One was Quique Alcatena and the other was Jose Maria Jorge and it is definitely not one of them either!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Jose Maria Jorge
No surname then, Col, for this artist?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

colcool007 wrote:Thinking on it a little more, I can only think of two Argentinian artists that worked for UK comics before and after 1982. One was Quique Alcatena and the other was Jose Maria Jorge and it is definitely not one of them either!
Don't forget the most prolific of all Argentinan artists who worked for the British market Col - Francisco Solano Lopez.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Not forgetting Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse artist Julio Schiaffino. Also the artist of Tommy's Troubles in Roy of the Rovers, though his name escapes me for the moment.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Thinking on it a little more, I can only think of two Argentinian artists that worked for UK comics before and after 1982. One was Quique Alcatena and the other was Jose Maria Jorge and it is definitely not one of them either!
Don't forget the most prolific of all Argentinan artists who worked for the British market Col - Francisco Solano Lopez.
I always thought that he was European. This is what I love about this hobby as you never know when you are going to learn something new.