Another one, please...

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Nikos Nikolaidis

Another one, please...

Post by Nikos Nikolaidis »

The serie's title must be "Slave Boxer" (or something like this) and the story is about a 15 - years old orphan boxer (named Johnny Nelson), whose greedy stepfather (named Frank Kleine) forces him to be a champion.

Original title and artist's name are unknown to me.

Thanks for your time,

Nikos Nikolaidis
(Greece)

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Another one, please...

Post by Phoenix »

Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:The serie's title must be "Slave Boxer" (or something like this) and the story is about a 15 - years old orphan boxer (named Johnny Nelson), whose greedy stepfather (named Frank Kleine) forces him to be a champion.
This serial story about Johnny Nelson appeared early in the run of The Wizard (picture version) under the title Slave Of The Ring. I do not have the issue numbers or dates immediately to hand, Nikos, but I'm sure that Kashgar will have them for you. It also appeared, with the same title, in The Victor 953 (May 26 1979) - 973 (Oct. 13 1979). The surname of Johnny's manager was spelt Kline.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Slave of the Ring originally appeared in Wizard Nos 1 to 22 in 1970. Sadly I don't seem to have any details of the artist.

Nikos Nikolaidis

Phoenix wrote:
Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:The serie's title must be "Slave Boxer" (or something like this) and the story is about a 15 - years old orphan boxer (named Johnny Nelson), whose greedy stepfather (named Frank Kleine) forces him to be a champion.
This serial story about Johnny Nelson appeared early in the run of The Wizard (picture version) under the title Slave Of The Ring. I do not have the issue numbers or dates immediately to hand, Nikos, but I'm sure that Kashgar will have them for you. It also appeared, with the same title, in The Victor 953 (May 26 1979) - 973 (Oct. 13 1979). The surname of Johnny's manager was spelt Kline.
Great, thanks so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About the artist now, he/her was the same as to another serie's titled "Ghost Pilot" (or something like this) about a brave British pilot during the W.W. II who finally was killed, but nobody knew his name...

Nikos Nikolaidis

Kashgar wrote:Slave of the Ring originally appeared in Wizard Nos 1 to 22 in 1970. Sadly I don't seem to have any details of the artist.
Great info, many thanks !!!

About the artist now, he/her was the same as to another serie's titled "Ghost Pilot" (or something like this) about a brave British pilot during the W.W. II who finally was killed, but nobody knew his name...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:This serial story about Johnny Nelson appeared early in the run of The Wizard (picture version) under the title Slave Of The Ring. I do not have the issue numbers or dates immediately to hand, Nikos, but I'm sure that Kashgar will have them for you. It also appeared, with the same title, in The Victor 953 (May 26 1979) - 973 (Oct. 13 1979). The surname of Johnny's manager was spelt Kline.
Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:About the artist now, he/her was the same as to another serie's titled "Ghost Pilot" (or something like this)
I leave artist identification to others, Nikos. There are only two whose work I would be reasonably confident of recognising, Fred Sturrock and David Matysiak. On the other hand I'm rather better at coping with the serials that the artists illustrate. It's mainly words not pictures that float my boat, although I do appreciate the drawings.

Nikos Nikolaidis

[/quote]I leave artist identification to others, Nikos. There are only two whose work I would be reasonably confident of recognising, Fred Sturrock and David Matysiak. On the other hand I'm rather better at coping with the serials that the artists illustrate. It's mainly words not pictures that float my boat, although I do appreciate the drawings.[/quote]

Me too :D :) Thanks, anyway !!!

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Was this not discussed last week here,

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=7373

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OK here is an example of the mystery style. It's not one I know.
Wizard 01 Slave Of The Ring.jpg
Nikos, you don't have any examples of David Matysiak's work you can point to in the comics do you?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

chrisb wrote:Was this not discussed last week?
It certainly was, Chris.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

chrisb wrote:Was this not discussed last week here,

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=7373
It was Chris, but that was the later reprint illustrated by Keith Shone that was discussed. This is part of the problem with D C Thomson's is that they had a tendency to reprint stories with different artists.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:About the artist now, he/her was the same as to another series titled "Ghost Pilot" (or something like this) about a brave British pilot during the W.W. II who finally was killed, but nobody knew his name...
You are probably thinking about The Phantom Flyer, Nikos. This story was originally a text serial in The Rover in 1950. It's first appearance in picture form was in The New Hotspur, starting in issue 22 in 1960 with no change of title. The pilot in question was Hoodoo Hart, and he certainly died at the end of the serial in The Rover. There was a second serial in The New Hotspur titled The Air Flights Of Flyer Hart which actually started in the free gift with issue 119 in 1962, continuing in the paper itself in 120. I doubt whether this is a repeat of the 1960 story. It could well be a back story. On the other hand, the 1968 serial in The New Hotspur with the original title is probably a repeat. The serial The Phantom Fliers in The Hornet in 1965 has no connection with the Hoodoo Hart tale. The reason I'm hedging my bets a bit here is that I cannot safely get to the cupboards containing my picture story papers for boys without risking serious damage to my person by trying to climb over a mountain of issues of Bunty, Judy, and Mandy, access to which is a more immediate requirement, and I'm sure that Nikos would not wish me to be hospitalised for a week or so just to get a few extra scraps of information out of me. :)

Nikos Nikolaidis

Phoenix wrote:
Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:About the artist now, he/her was the same as to another series titled "Ghost Pilot" (or something like this) about a brave British pilot during the W.W. II who finally was killed, but nobody knew his name...
You are probably thinking about The Phantom Flyer, Nikos. This story was originally a text serial in The Rover in 1950. It's first appearance in picture form was in The New Hotspur, starting in issue 22 in 1960 with no change of title. The pilot in question was Hoodoo Hart, and he certainly died at the end of the serial in The Rover. There was a second serial in The New Hotspur titled The Air Flights Of Flyer Hart which actually started in the free gift with issue 119 in 1962, continuing in the paper itself in 120. I doubt whether this is a repeat of the 1960 story. It could well be a back story. On the other hand, the 1968 serial in The New Hotspur with the original title is probably a repeat. The serial The Phantom Fliers in The Hornet in 1965 has no connection with the Hoodoo Hart tale. The reason I'm hedging my bets a bit here is that I cannot safely get to the cupboards containing my picture story papers for boys without risking serious damage to my person by trying to climb over a mountain of issues of Bunty, Judy, and Mandy, access to which is a more immediate requirement, and I'm sure that Nikos would not wish me to be hospitalised for a week or so just to get a few extra scraps of information out of me. :)
I surely wouldn't my dear friend :D . Thanks a lot, anyway, for all this useful info so far !!!!!

Nikos Nikolaidis

colcool007 wrote:OK here is an example of the mystery style. It's not one I know.
Wizard 01 Slave Of The Ring.jpg
Nikos, you don't have any examples of David Matysiak's work you can point to in the comics do you?
The story is this one, I am sure. But, unfortunately, the artist is different than whom in Greek edition... :?