Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Comic titles and artists (part 2) 
Author Message

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
Attachment:
ΦΟΝΙΑΣ ΓΙΓΑΝΤΩΝ.JPG
ΦΟΝΙΑΣ ΓΙΓΑΝΤΩΝ.JPG [ 97.63 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]
Attachment:
Ο ΣΟΥΒΛΑΚΙΑΣ.JPG
Ο ΣΟΥΒΛΑΚΙΑΣ.JPG [ 97.1 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]


Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
You normally give us an approximate translation from the Greek, Nikos. Could you please do so again, otherwise I at least will not be able to help you with these new requests. I need something recognisable to hover my thoughts over.


Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
That second one is pure Bert Vandeput with Mr Roly-Poly as a goalie with an appetite for a clean sheet and a decent profit as he was a baker by trader and a goalie by talent. It featured in the Victor and is a nice bit of gentle fun.

The boxing one is also a Victor story but I am chuffed if I can name it or the artist.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
That second one is pure Bert Vandeput with Mr Roly-Poly as a goalie with an appetite for a clean sheet and a decent profit as he was a baker by trade(r) and a goalie by talent. It featured in the Victor and is a nice bit of gentle fun.
A title would be good, Col. Thank you in anticipation.
colcool007 wrote:
I am chuffed if I can name it or the artist.
What an interesting use of the word chuffed. Up here in my current neck of the woods the word chuffed means delighted/extremely pleased. Is yours a north-of-the-border meaning or did you pick the term up in London?


Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
That second one is pure Bert Vandeput with Mr Roly-Poly as a goalie with an appetite for a clean sheet and a decent profit as he was a baker by trade(r) and a goalie by talent. It featured in the Victor and is a nice bit of gentle fun.
A title would be good, Col. Thank you in anticipation.
colcool007 wrote:
I am chuffed if I can name it or the artist.
What an interesting use of the word chuffed. Up here in my current neck of the woods the word chuffed means delighted/extremely pleased. Is yours a north-of-the-border meaning or did you pick the term up in London?

Mr Roly-Poly is the title. And it is either use the word chuffed or the word that I really meant! :lol: As even in Yorkshire, they use chuffing hell instead of the words that I am thinking of.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
As even in Yorkshire, they use chuffing hell instead of the words that I am thinking of.
What has Yorkshire got to do with anything? They are the enemy. I live in Lancashire. Locally they call this area Merseyside but I'm not having it. It was always Lancashire before some clown came along, created an administrative area and then renamed it. Lancashire was good enough for John O' Gaunt and Brian Statham so it's good enough for me.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
colcool007 wrote:
That second one is pure Bert Vandeput with Mr Roly-Poly as a goalie with an appetite for a clean sheet and a decent profit as he was a baker by trader and a goalie by talent. It featured in the Victor and is a nice bit of gentle fun.

The boxing one is also a Victor story but I am chuffed if I can name it or the artist.


Many thanks for the info, concerning the second story :) :o . But Mr Roly was not a goalie. He played as a center-back or center haf :?


Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:09 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
You normally give us an approximate translation from the Greek, Nikos. Could you please do so again, otherwise I at least will not be able to help you with these new requests. I need something recognisable to hover my thoughts over.


O.K. :D :) First one (boxer) is titled as "Giants' Killer". It's about a talented champion boxer who is kidnaped by two bad guys, after an accident he had driving his car, which leaded him to lost his memories (amnesia).

Second is titled as "Souvlaki-Man" :) :D the word is Greek (traditional Greek street -mainly- food, with "pita" and "gyros") :lol: 8) :) The story is about a cantine owner who is talented in football, playing as a center-back for the local team.

Thanks in advance !!!


Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4794
Reply with quote
Sorry, Nikos, having hovered my thoughts over them, I have to admit that I don't recognise either.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
Sorry, Nikos, having hovered my thoughts over them, I have to admit that I don't recognise either.


Never mind :) Thanks anyway, you've helped me much, so far !!!


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Bonnybridge, Scotland
Reply with quote
"Giants Killer" was from Victor and titled "The Boxer Nobody Knows". It ran in issues 745 31/05/1975 to 750 05/07/1975. Unfortunately I don't have a name for the artist.

"Mister Roly-Poly" again from Victor, ran in issues 517 16/01/1971 to 526 20/03/1971. The artist, as has already been mentioned being Bert Vandeput. The second series, where he became the goalkeeper, ran in issues 1069 15/08/1981 to 1087 19/12/1981. Art by R. Charles Roylance.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:01 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
"Giants Killer" was from Victor and titled "The Boxer Nobody Knows". It ran in issues 745 31/05/1975 to 750 05/07/1975. Unfortunately I don't have a name for the artist.

"Mister Roly-Poly" again from Victor, ran in issues 517 16/01/1971 to 526 20/03/1971. The artist, as has already been mentioned being Bert Vandeput. The second series, where he became the goalkeeper, ran in issues 1069 15/08/1981 to 1087 19/12/1981. Art by R. Charles Roylance.


Thanks a lot for all this very useful data !!! :) :D

I beleive that the artist of "The Boxer Nobody Knows" was Juan Giralt.

Concerning "Mister Roly-Poly", I must say that only first series were introduced in Greece.

All the best, :cheers:

Nikos


Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:16 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:39 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Bonnybridge, Scotland
Reply with quote
Quote:
I beleive that the artist of "The Boxer Nobody Knows" was Juan Giralt.

Sorry Nikos, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. It doesn't look like Giralt to me.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:42 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Posts: 44
Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Quote:
I beleive that the artist of "The Boxer Nobody Knows" was Juan Giralt.

Sorry Nikos, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. It doesn't look like Giralt to me.


Juan Giralt used to draw the persons' faces like having freckles on them. This is a sketching technique of him, that made me beleive that he was the artist in "Boxer" too.

But, of course, I am not absolutely sure... :? 8)


Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 am
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3469
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
Nikos Nikolaidis wrote:
I beleive that the artist of "The Boxer Nobody Knows" was Juan Giralt.

If you want examples of Giralt's work, then you need to look at Haddie which was in the Hotspur (which we have only recently discussed), The Blitz Kid which was in The Hornet and Red Dagger and The Bootneck Boy in Battle. Giralt also did quite a few of the Football Picture Story Monthlies too.

However, the artist for The Boxer Nobody Knows has a style that is distinct from Giralt's and it's an artist that I would not mind having a name put to the style.

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.