Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Jerry Robinson 
Guru

I was wandering down Bold Street after checking out the artwork for sale in Rennies this afternoon when my attention was caught by the cover of a book on a display stand in one of the windows of the British Heart Foundation. I went in to check it out. Its title is Jerry Robinson - Ambassador Of Comics by N. C. Christopher Couch. It was in near mint condition with a complete dustwrapper, and as I needed to get a bit of a lick on to catch my train home from Liverpool Central, I decided to take a chance on it even though it was £6. I'm glad I did, but when I will find time to read it I've no idea. But then if I hadn't bought it I wouldn't have that problem, would I?

I've just noticed that it is an American book, published by Abrams ComicArts, New York.

07 Mar 2018, 00:11

It would be an American book as Jerry was one of the original Batman artists in the thirties and forties. I think I have an Alter Ego that covers his work which was excellent. Wish I'd come across that book.

07 Mar 2018, 10:03
Guru

This is the front of the dustwrapper, Steve. The book has 224 pages.

Attachments:
JRobcov.jpg
JRobcov.jpg [ 184.93 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]
07 Mar 2018, 11:08

Just won an unread copy on eBay for 99p plus £2.95 postage.

07 Mar 2018, 12:03
Guru

stevezodiac wrote:
Just won an unread copy on eBay for 99p plus £2.95 postage.
Good on you, Steve. :cheers: It is interesting though how much is owed to chance. Yesterday, for example, if I hadn't gone to look at the artwork for sale in Rennies, I wouldn't have used that route to get to Central Station. Ergo, I wouldn't have seen the book. Furthermore, if I hadn't posted about it you wouldn't then have searched for it on eBay, so you wouldn't have acquired the book either. :)

07 Mar 2018, 13:21

And the auction only had one hour left to go. I have a large collection of Alter Ego, Comicbook Marketplace and similar fanzines. I love reading about the creators from the golden and silver age.

07 Mar 2018, 13:58

I have this book, but I have to admit I found myself irritated by Robinson's apparent belief that comics were an American invention...

07 Apr 2018, 16:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]