Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

comixminx

Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Post by comixminx »

Very sorry to see (via Twitter) that Carlos Ezquerra has just died. The snippet from the Sun that shows up on a google search says 'The co-creator of Judge Dredd has died in Spain at the age of 70 after a battle with lung cancer, it emerged today'. Alas!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Re: Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Post by philcom55 »

Oh no! :cry:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It was his second battle with lung cancer and we all thought that Carlos was through the worst of it until today.

In my tribute, I am going to concentrate on his work in Wizard as that seems to be all but forgotten these days.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Dave Heeley

Post by Dave Heeley »

Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Dave Heeley wrote:Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!
I'm going to post a new Carlos cover each day until I run out of them. I am going to be doing an obituary for ComicScene and I wonder if anyone has any examples of Carlos' work in Mirabelle or know what other romance comic he worked for before he got his DCT break?

SID

Post by SID »

I just discovered this thread and am in shock.

A great loss.

I haven't seen anything in either 2000AD or Judge Dredd Megazine though I wasn't looking for it. I can't believe that they won't do a tribute similar to the one given to Tom Frame.

I wonder what will happen to Strontium Dog since Carlos was Johnny's definitive artist?
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Dave Heeley wrote:Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!
where is wizard cover posted ? i havent come across it lol

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:
where is wizard cover posted ? i havent come across it lol
Col put it on Facebook

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Fear not if you don't have me on Facebook, John Freeman has collected the first few in a tribute to Carlos in this article

SID

Post by SID »

colcool007 wrote:Fear not if you don't have me on Facebook, John Freeman has collected the first few in a tribute to Carlos in this article
Good tribute.

I am planning to get the last Sniper Elite comic with cover drawn by Carlos and featuring Battle's Rat Pack.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

The latest Judge Dredd Megazine pays tribute to Carlos, with five pages of his fellow creators sharing their memories of him, plus the free reprint magazine which this month presents a selection of his work including his first ever Dredd strip.