Crikey Issue 2

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Crikey Issue 2

Post by Lew Stringer »

Captain Storm wrote:Hi Lew,re the 1972 Thunder Annual Adam Eterno strip Steve Holland replied thus:
I'm guessing the 'Skid Solo'
artist Lew is thinking of is John Vernon.
Hope that helps.
Regards.

That's him.

I'm not 100% sure that he's the one ghosting that Adam Eterno strip but it might be him. Either that or some newcomer who's absorbed the styles of several artists into his own.

Lew

Kashgar
Guru

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Cap, In the hope that this helps to fill a few gaps herewith are all the details I can personally provide re the Adam Eterno artists in the annuals and specials. ( I can't lay my hands on my copies of the Valiant Specials 1977-1979 so they will have to wait for another day).
Annuals
Thunder 1972 - This is certainly Eric Bradbury but maybe not 100% so.
Thunder 1973 - The strip artist is unknown to me but looks like a young tyro with budding talent. A bit Dave Gibbons-ish but I think it's a bit early for him. The text story illos though are by Ted Kearon.
Thunder 1974 - Strip illos the Lopez studio. Text story illos Eric Bradbury.
Lion 1975 Lopez studio
Lion 1976 Lopez studio, text illos John Catchpole.
Lion 1977-1980 all Lopez studio (sloppy editing of reprints saw the same strip reprinted in both the 1978 and 1980 books).
Valiant 1976 Ian Kennedy
Valiant 1978-1980 all Lopez studio
Specials
Lion & Thunder 1971 Ted Kearon
Lion & Thunder 1972 Eric Bradbury (90%) although another artist may have finished it off.
Lion & Thunder 1973 Lopez studio
Lion Holiday Special 1974 Tom Kerr / Colin Page (Thunder reprint)
Lion Holiday Special 1975 text illos John Catchpole.
Valiant Holiday Special 1975 Colin Page
Valiant Holiday Special 1976 Lopez studio
I can also confirm that Juan Giralt was the artist who provided much of the Adam Eterno artwork in Valiant in 1976.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote: Thunder 1973 - The strip artist is unknown to me but looks like a young tyro with budding talent. A bit Dave Gibbons-ish but I think it's a bit early for him.
I've just asked Dave and it's not drawn by him, although he did letter some Adam Eterno strips around that time. (Not that one though.)

Lew

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks Kashgar and Lew!My hat is off to you both!Lew,can you ask Mr. Gibbons if he can contact me?Kashgar,I take it all the info is about artists?If so,bravo.Some were already identified but names like Catchpole are new to me.Also I have no Valiant Summer Specials strips save the 1979 one-"The Missing Spacemen" so will take your word on them(They were I believe reprints but I don't know which particular stories).You can check our databases here to see the titles and their publications.Once again sterling work,thank you so much.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adametern ... r/database

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Kashgar wrote:Thunder 1973 - The strip artist is unknown to me but looks like a young tyro with budding talent. A bit Dave Gibbons-ish but I think it's a bit early for him. The text story illos though are by Ted Kearon.
Any chance of a scan... others may recognise the style?

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Shaqui wrote:
Any chance of a scan... others may recognise the style?
Shaqui,they're all on my site here:

http://adameternoforever.tripod.com/id15.html

Cap Haggis

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Cap Haggis »

Mighty impressive site Cap well done I'll need to havea more indepth look at this again later.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks for the kind comments.Only one artist remains to be identified-Thunder Annual 1973-"The Goblin Crown"-my personal fav.Hope Shaqui can crack it!Also are there any pictures of Eric Bradbury,Mr. Catchpole,etc on the net?I have Solano,Tully,Avenelle and Goodall. :wink:

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Kashgar,I have sent you a P.M. I mention it because the thingy seems to be on the blink :wink:

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Kashgar,Dominik Vallet,a correspondent of mine from France has sent the following info re the artists for the 20 odd Adam Eterno covers in Janus Stark magazine(Mon Journal):
Unknown : #5, #18, #22, #33
Enzo Chiomenti : #6, #14, #21, #28, #29, #32, #36, #37, #39, #40,
#42, #48, #50, #51
Guido Zamperoni : #8, #16
I am sure I've heard of Zamperoni before.It confirms my belief that artists ghosted the styles of Solano Lopez studio.Eric Bradbury's name crops up now and again in French comic circles vis a vis Adam Eterno but unless they reprinted his 2 strips from the Annuals,I'm not sure.Maybe he did a cover(doubtful).

Any info on the 2 foreign artists?

Cap Haggis

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Cap Haggis »

I thought I had heard of Guido Zamperoni as well so checked Lambiek but think I was thinking of a Warner Brothers artist (Zamboni ?) - the link is below if its any use for Guido Z.

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/z/zamperoni.htm

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Thanks for the heads up,Cap Haggis.Off I go! :lol:

Captain Storm

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Captain Storm »

Not much info on these guys..Italian or South American?..Guido passed away in 2003.Guess like many things in comicdom,fame came too late.Must be one of the hardest fields in the arts to honour the stars! :x

Cap Haggis

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Cap Haggis »

Cap if you type in Guido's full name onlyon your PC you get a few French etc sites referring to Guido Zamperoni, although not much info than you have they are of course in French but if you hit the translate button (then re translate it into proper English) theres a bit of info to be had. I can see no reference to Janus Stark, but he seems to have created a few characters - one noted on the International Hero site (Sunny Sun) Links below if any help.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sunnysun.htm

http://www.inkonline.info/zamperoni.htm

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_Zamperoni

Kashgar
Guru

Crikey Issue 2

Post by Kashgar »

As Cap H points out if you go onto the French wikipedia site and your French is up to it, or you can opt for a machine transaltion, there is quite a bit of info on Vincenzo Chiomenti and Guido Zamperoni. Both Italians Chiomenti born in 1930 and Zamperoni, who died in 2003, born not in 1949 as it states, but way back in 1912.