BUZZ comic website

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

toxteth o'grady

BUZZ comic website

Post by toxteth o'grady »

For anyone who's interested in Buzz comic (DC Thomson 1973-75) or comics in general, I've just put up a website for it. View it at http://home.btconnect.com/thetopper

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: BUZZ comic website

Post by colcool007 »

That's a top website there. And being able to put a name to a few styles means that your website is going onto my favourites straight away!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

an excellent, easy-to-read/navigate site for a comic that sadly hardly gets a mention anywhere.....if only every comic had a site like this. I will visit again.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm so impresssed I've linked you to my blog and done
a blog post on this news..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... bsite.html

A very good website..

I like to see Classics of the comics showing Sammy Scribble by Gordon Bell..a very orginal strip..
http://home.btconnect.com/thetopper/sammysscribbles.htm
never seen the colour centre pages of Sammy Scribble only the page 2 black and red version..
Whata top strip..

this adventure strip looks interesting...
I only have 2 Buzz comics so havn't seen this one
wonder what the drawing looks like..

Another Ken Hunter..

Also didn't know George Martin drew Top Tec...the guy who drew Greedy Pigg in The Dandy..

I'm learning loads from this website..

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Really good Buzz site, Just had a look through my collection and I haven't got any Buzz Comics. :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I bought the early editions of 'BUZZ' in 1973; as detailed in it's site, it had a BEEZER/TOPPER larger 'broadsheet' format, with many top THOMSON talent working on it........including K H HARRISON -----it came out at roughly the same time as 'SHIVER and SHAKE' from IPC, I remember: gimmicks were a big thing [as now] in the early 70s.....'BUZZ' was a very traditionalist comic, I recall, very different to what IPC were up to at that time.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I bought the early editions of 'BUZZ' in 1973; as detailed in it's site, it had a BEEZER/TOPPER larger 'broadsheet' format, with many top THOMSON talent working on it........including K H HARRISON -----it came out at roughly the same time as 'SHIVER and SHAKE' from IPC, I remember: gimmicks were a big thing [as now] in the early 70s.....'BUZZ' was a very traditionalist comic, I recall, very different to what IPC were up to at that time.
I have seen some Buzz for sale in my local comic shop, they go for around £1.50 to £3 there, I think I will pick up a copy of comics.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Kudos! May we see many more like it!

The Cap.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Didn't care much for Buzz when it came out but I was 14 and going through my "American comics are better" phase. Looking back now Buzz was a top class comic.

Great website!

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Didn't have Skookum Skool down as a Ken Harrison strip - the style is very different to his later Desperate Dan, Robbie Rebel and Minnie the Minx strips. Then again, that guy can draw any style perfectly, any Classics cover or the 2007 Dandy Annual cover are examples of that.

Fantastic website. A Beano, Dandy, Beezer or Topper version would take a lot of hard work, but I'd like to see someone do versions for Cracker, Nutty, and Plug (all of which, by the way, also never had annuals, barring Bananaman from Nutty, who had his own). Buzz doesn't have a page here at Comics UK, so why don't you submit an article? 1920s girls comic The Schoolgirl's article is by a guest writer already, so I'm sure Al will be glad of the help.

toxteth o'grady

Post by toxteth o'grady »

This is the first post I've replied to so bear with me if it doesn't look right or ends up in the wrong place.

First off, thanks to all forum contributors who submited favourable comments about the website, I really apreciated them.
Digifiend wrote:Didn't have Skookum Skool down as a Ken Harrison strip - the style is very different to his later Desperate Dan, Robbie Rebel and Minnie the Minx strips. .
I'm no expert on comic artists - Kashgar kindly supplied all the information. However I did notice when reading the strips (in the one go) that some were drawn by a different artist (the same goes for Calamity Kate and to a lesser degree Twitz of the Ritz) - it's probable/possible that the scan wasn't drawn by Ken. If anyone has anything to add on this I'd be interested to hear.
Digifiend wrote:A Beano, Dandy, Beezer or Topper version would take a lot of hard work, but I'd like to see someone do versions for Cracker, Nutty, and Plug .
Only the other night I won on ebay the last 3 Cracker comics (that I've been after for 2 years) to complete the full run so I'll be starting on a section on the website for that. I was going to start on a Topper section (I anticipated this originally when I named the webspace years ago) but that's now on hold.
Digifiend wrote: Buzz doesn't have a page here at Comics UK, so why don't you submit an article? 1920s girls comic The Schoolgirl's article is by a guest writer already, so I'm sure Al will be glad of the help.
Aw, Shucks! I'm blushing. In truth, I don't feel that passionate about Buzz - I never read it at the time - more interested in prog-rock and football. I collected them because of 'collection creep' (started collecting Topper, started collecting Beezer...)
and I confess I didn't relish the prospect of reading them all to make the web site.
But as I did, I slowly realised that it wasn't half-bad and am glad to have promoted it to a wider audience. If you're ever going to get an article out of me about a comic it'll probably be The Topper.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

A Cracker website will be great...
Great news..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

toxteth o'grady wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Didn't have Skookum Skool down as a Ken Harrison strip - the style is very different to his later Desperate Dan, Robbie Rebel and Minnie the Minx strips. .
I'm no expert on comic artists - Kashgar kindly supplied all the information. However I did notice when reading the strips (in the one go) that some were drawn by a different artist (the same goes for Calamity Kate and to a lesser degree Twitz of the Ritz) - it's probable/possible that the scan wasn't drawn by Ken. If anyone has anything to add on this I'd be interested to hear.
Well all the Snookum examples I've seen in Classics look like that scan. It is earlier than most of Ken's other work for Thomson's though. Dave Sutherland started drawing Dennis exactly like David Law before it changed to his own style, likewise Ken's own Desperate Dan changed style drastically 3 years before he stopped drawing it. To be honest, it's one artist where unsigned work is impossible to identify, because he uses such a wide range of styles. Same goes for Dave Sutherland. Most of his early comic strip work can be easily mistaken for a predecessor's.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The artists names I supplied are for the artist who first drew a particular strip and for any subsequent artist if they supplied enough strips to make there contribution noteworthy. Of course a number of strips may have been ghosted by others but in the case of the Skookum strip this is certainly Ken Harrison.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just a note I got the Buzz you sent me and thanks very much for this...great to see Sammy's Scribbles in the colour centre pages...thanks again..