Comic Libraries List

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

NP

Re: Comic Libraries List

Post by NP »

Peter Gray wrote:It would be nice to have some of the artists names as well.
I hope that NEVER happens!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Some covers weren't done by the same artist as the main story, just like Commando.

One Menace and His Dog was by Dennis's regular artist Dave Sutherland. It was partly shown in one of the 60 years books. A good blend of two styles, from what I've seen.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The artists for the first half of the Comic Library runs are included in the Dandy Monster Index and the Beano Diaries Peter. I'm fairly sure I've got a complete list of the artists who drew the original series but I may have let my attention wander during the Fun-Size run.
Speaking of attention wandering I inadvertantly failed to include a mention of Black Bob's reprint appearance in Dandy Fun-Size No71 'The Black Prowlers' in my Black Bob story listings in the new Best of Black Bob book due out soon. The 'Young Bob' strip in Dandy Fun-Size No11 I didn't mention either but, as this wasn't part of the original Black Bob series, I didn't intend too.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I've done a minor update thanks to a private message. Three Dandy Comic Libraries and two Beano Superstars issues added.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Peter Gray has some of your missing issues on his blog.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I've noticed. I'll be adding those with the next update.

EDIT: That didn't take as long as I expected. Updated again and Peter's been credited and his blog linked to. :cheers:

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Peter Gray wrote:It would be nice to have some of the artists names as well

Brassneck The Proffessor's Revenge is by the Brassneck artist
Bill Holroyd which is lovely to see..

Dinah Mo Dinah Mob who is the artist..number 31 It doesn't look like Ron Spencer? It is nicely done..
Really been enjoying rereading my comic libraries..great fun stories.
Peter, the artist on Dinah Mo 'Dinah Mob' was Henry Davies.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Thanks Kashgar..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I found my Dandy Monster Index volumes at my flat and there is a list of titles included in the second volume and with the artists names. Here it is:
Attachments
ebay annuals 037.jpg

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Now I know Nigel drew Bully Beef and Chips :) ..and many other names...thanks for this..
will be very useful//

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

stevezodiac wrote:I found my Dandy Monster Index volumes at my flat and there is a list of titles included in the second volume and with the artists names. Here it is:
Thank you! Plenty of info there for me to add to my list later. :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

From memory I'm fairly certain that the Badd Lads 'Crooks Convention' was drawn by Torregrossa. It is listed in the revised Dandy Monster Index which took the details up to 1990

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:It would be nice to have some of the artists names as well
Suggestion noted. Thanks to that scan from Dandy Monster Index, the artists for those issues will be listed once I upload the new version later. Stevezodiac, who uploaded it, and Ray Moore, the author, will be credited. I'll have to recheck my own issues at some point to try and identify some of the artists, especially the later issues which were printed after the indexes.

EDIT: New version uploaded. :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

In the latest Dandy fun size is a reprint of a comic library with Terry Bave's work..Winker Watson....it has Beryl the Peril on the cover which is a bit silly..

so they are reprinting long library stories..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Some of the Dandy Fun-Sizes were comic library reprints originally. So maybe it's a reprint of a Fun-Size which was a colourised reprint of a Comic Library. I'll take a look when I'm in WHSmith later. It does seem daft putting Beryl on the cover, considering she hasn't had a new strip in the Dandy in 2007 (but has still appeared in the annuals). They might as well have used Winker himself, who left the comic at around the same time.

EDIT: The Winker Fun-Size was originally printed in 2002, according to the final page of the story. It would actually have first appeared in red black and white as a comic library sometime before 1997. Neither previous printing is mentioned in my list.