New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: New Look Crikey! Magazine Out on Thursday

Post by colcool007 »

:cry: Still waiting for my copy of number 12. I am a subscriber..Honest!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote::cry: Still waiting for my copy of number 12. I am a subscriber..Honest!
They all went out on the 29th, Col. I think some have gotten held up in the backlog but our postman says it should be cleared shortly.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

OK. Will wait with not so bated breath! :D Look forward to getting it.

NP

Post by NP »

Can I just say I'd like to see a lot more of Miranda, and leave it at that?
Remember The Clapping Song, anyone?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Got my replacement copy on Friday. Thanks Tony. I enjoyed it and I am glad to see that my initial reaction of sticking with it has now been beautifully repaid as this issue was lush. Great articles, with one of the best new additions to the magazine that I can ever think of in putting appropriate art with the article and giving credits for the artist. That was fantastic. Obviously inspired by some of the livilier discussions on here! :lol:

One thing that I did notice and I am surprised that neither Kashgar (welcome back mate) nor Phoenix hasn't mentioned one way or another is that I am sure that the Nutty Notion about Cpl Fry, who's one inch high is based on an old text story. Both will twit me about the head if I am wrong, I am sure!

Also, does it have to be a postcard for the competition or can we get away with an email?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:One thing that I did notice and I am surprised that neither Kashgar (welcome back mate) nor Phoenix hasn't mentioned one way or another is that I am sure that the Nutty Notion about Cpl Fry, who's one inch high is based on an old text story.
Are you sure you are not thinking about Inch High - Private Eye? :D

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

NP wrote:Can I just say I'd like to see a lot more of Miranda, and leave it at that?
Remember The Clapping Song, anyone?
We're trying to get the two Johns to produce more in the near future, though they both have busy schedules at present...

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:Got my replacement copy on Friday. Thanks Tony. I enjoyed it and I am glad to see that my initial reaction of sticking with it has now been beautifully repaid as this issue was lush. Great articles, with one of the best new additions to the magazine that I can ever think of in putting appropriate art with the article and giving credits for the artist. That was fantastic. Obviously inspired by some of the livilier discussions on here!
Also, does it have to be a postcard for the competition or can we get away with an email?
An email is indeed acceptable, just cos it's you, Col. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:One thing that I did notice and I am surprised that neither Kashgar (welcome back mate) nor Phoenix hasn't mentioned one way or another is that I am sure that the Nutty Notion about Cpl Fry, who's one inch high is based on an old text story.
Well, at least you haven't short-listed my request... :coat:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Well, at least you haven't short-listed my request... :coat:
Where did the Corporal Fry text story appear? I don't doubt there was one, but I have no idea where it was from.I assumed Fry was created for the (comic strip version of) Hotspur.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

From memory I think the Corporal Fry story might have been based on a text story in Hotspur in 1958 titled 'The Strange Case of Corporal Kite' which I think may have then been reprinted as a text story in Victor sometime in the 1960's. ( I await Derek's wagging finger if I am wrong)
BTW now that I've read the latest Crikey from cover to cover I can honestly say that there is nothing in this issue that I personally could have helped with (Stephen Poppitt's Persuaders error that Lew mentioned would have passed me by). So a pretty fine issue all round and a credit to Tony and Glenn's hard work.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Kashgar wrote:From memory I think the Corporal Fry story might have been based on a text story in Hotspur in 1958 titled 'The Strange Case of Corporal Kite' which I think may have then been reprinted as a text story in Victor sometime in the 1960's. ( I await Derek's wagging finger if I am wrong)
BTW now that I've read the latest Crikey from cover to cover I can honestly say that there is nothing in this issue that I personally could have helped with (Stephen Poppitt's Persuaders error that Lew mentioned would have passed me by). So a pretty fine issue all round and a credit to Tony and Glenn's hard work.
Blimey, high praise indeed from comicdom's foremost fact finder! You've made me blush! cheers, Kashgar. :oops: :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Credit should always be given where it's due Tony. I would blush myself if I really thought I was 'comicdom's foremost fact-finder'. I may, just possibly, be one of them but then only on a good day.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

My rather lighthearted comment about Inch High - Private Eye came about because I didn't understand, and still don't, the reference to the Nutty Notion about Cpl Fry. Nevertheless, there is no serial in the text story papers about any character who is only one inch tall. There is however, as Kashgar has pointed out, The Strange Case Of Corporal Kite, an absolute giant at one foot tall in comparison with Hanna and Barbera's creation Inch High. It appeared in The Hotspur 1084 (Aug. 17 1957) - 1089 (Sep. 21 1957) and then, again as a text story, in The Victor 116 (May 11 1963) - 121 (Jun. 15 1963). There were some minor modifications to the text but all the heading block pictures, while superficially similar to those in The Hotspur, had been either partially or substantially redrawn. The story is set in a remote outpost in a tropical forest district, and hinges on an offensive remark made by Corporal Kite to a native African witch doctor, who casts a spell on him that lops just over five feet from his height, and then disappears from the area. When Sergeant Burton of the Royal Medical Corps turns up, he takes upon himself the job of persuading the local witch doctors to restore Kite to his correct height. Most of the humour lies in the range of only partial successes achieved by the various 'undergraduates' studying under Chaga, the chief of the society of witch doctors, and the increasing frustration of Sergeant Burton.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I have been consulting my copy of The Encyclopedia Of Fantasy by John Clute and John Grant. They come up with a small selection of shops that have vanished when one tries to return to them. These include The Chaser by John Collier, The Bureau D'Echange de Maux by Lord Dunsany, Shottle Bop by Theodore Sturgeon, Bazaar Of The Bizarre by Fritz Lieber and Shoppe Keeper by Harlan Ellison. I might have read one or more of them, but from only seeing the title I simply can't be sure.
Just in the last couple of days I have been able to reread Harlan Ellison's Shoppe Keeper, which is an excellent example of the mysterious shop that appears, vanishes and then reappears when required. The story is one of sixteen short stories in a Granada paperback volume called Shatterday, and it is definitely the story I read earlier this year. It takes no more than an hour to read, the rest of the time being required to try to make some sense of the pseudo-science on which it is based. It is certainly a challenge. As I failed, I'll have to have another go the next time the shop appears.