Duplicate photos in the Beano - and other surprises

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

swirlythingy

Duplicate photos in the Beano - and other surprises

Post by swirlythingy »

I've got the latest of my little crashingly dull Beano-related projects on the go over here. Having pointed and laughed at the subscription pages, and worked myself up into a frenzy over the percentage of actual comic pages in a given comic, I've turned my attention towards one of the last remaining items which appear regularly in every issue, but nobody pays any attention to: the readers.

It was some time ago that the fact that the Beano did not actually have enough readers to fill up 50 double-page spreads per year came to my attention. Initially my efforts were focused on spotting historical occurrences of just one name - Amy Lee Ince of Southsea - but last Christmas, I set aside a lot of time to build up a database of every name printed in the Beano in 2011, to aid the identification of those who were getting more than their fair share.

Like all the best scientific experiments, the results which came back were completely different to my hypothesis.

I've carried on writing down names through all five issues to date of 2012, and I've uncovered something far more exciting than particularly persistent readers.

The same pictures keep getting published twice!

Even that's not the end of the story, and only this week things took an especially exciting twist. Head on over to the thread for scans galore, and rather more sarcastic commentary than strictly necessary.

Warning: You will never look at a Treehouse page the same way again.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

booksandcomics

Re: Duplicate photos in the Beano - and other surprises

Post by booksandcomics »

At a push this is related, but, I've always been intrigued at who owned my comics and annuals in the first place. Although I'm sure it is VERY unlikely to belong to great comedian himself, I have an early 1950s Dandy with "This Book Belongs to Benny Hill"!

I've also wondered if there have been current well known people who had an appearance in a Beano or Dandy over the years. Is there an existing list? Would it be worth compiling?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

booksandcomics wrote: I've also wondered if there have been current well known people who had an appearance in a Beano or Dandy over the years. Is there an existing list? Would it be worth compiling?
Do you mean appeared as themselves, a parody of them appeared or had their submissions appear on the reader pages?

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Sorry, I meant those who had written into the comic, the prize winners, those who starred in pictures for their collections etc.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Mark Hamill (aka Luke Skywalker!) is famously a Dennis Fan Club member.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Mike Read who presented saturday superstore in the 80s & a former radio one dj (when it was good ) was another dennis fan club member & he used to talk about comics whilst on air i think thats why i used to listen to him.
Did anyone on here join the dennis fan club or desperate dan pie eaters club more than once,i think i eventually joined both at least 3 times & i would join again now if they were still running :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Why would you need to join more than once? It's not like they ever changed the contents of the membership pack.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I'm sure i wasnt the only kid who tore the wallets or ruined the rest of the stuff :lol:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I joined for me and my wife in the 1980s and all the membership stuff is in my free gifts box untouched since.