Bloggular Activities: Brand-New Updates

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Bloggular Activities: Brand-New Updates

Post by philcom55 »

Excellent as always!

As a matter of interest, are you familiar with the work of Mitch O'Connell Rab?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

You are so kind, Phil!

Sorry I am not familiar with Mitch but who knows I may recognize his style, if not his name....I will look into that one.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

THE PROS and CONS OF DIGITAL COMICS ON DISC:

I've tried to put over both sides of the coin:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.co. ... nst_7.html
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 07 Sep 2016, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

That's a well balanced and thought out article. I wanted to comment on your blog page but couldn't understand those options for i/d's.
I'd like to add that the contents of those dvd's that are available all over the internet are harvested from scan sites whose members have done the work for free and who are happy for fans to download them for free. There's never any credits on the discs. The creators of the discs charge for them but the material is available free on piles of websites and blogs, if anyone makes the effort to look for them. And the problem of reading digital comics is easily lessened by using a big screen tablet. They're much lighter nowadays.
Also, scanning of recent, i.e. less than 10 year old material, is seriously detrimental to the creators and publishers. Beyond that sort of limit, 10 - 15 years, if the publishers can't be bothered to offer digital collections for sale, then that's a shame. Their old, physical titles are available at marts, cons, on ebay etc, with no money going to the publisher or creators, all profits to a dealer. And they cost a lot more than a free digital edition. But that's the choice the fan makes.
In some ways, we're looking at the comparison between the off-air recordings of, for example, BBC shows, back in the '60's. Those folk copied and distributed tapes for free - I was given quite a few by a friend over the years - and were considered pirates, being as it was and is illegal. Now they are heroes and named as such by the BBC on air. Thank goodness for those pirates.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for your welcome thoughts, Paw!

I went back in and sorted out many of the typo mistakes----I write very fast at the best of times.

I want to declare that I never download music from the internet [tried it once, never liked it, same as cigarettes!] ---I still buy 'proper' CDs , often second-hand, and I prefer blu-rays at home for films, I have never tried streaming of films on a computer , I still go to the cinema, and have been there 9 times this past 7 days!

Going by this, I would likely buy proper versions of older comics on official dvd collections if they were available.

British Comics' proud History seems to be the only creative avenue not properly catered for by the copyright holders----I'm not saying anyone should break the Law, I am only saying it is this environment that is encouraging piracy problems--------everyone on here agrees that modern comics scanning in particular is not to be sanctioned or encouraged.