A NEW IDEA FOR COMMANDO

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

A NEW IDEA FOR COMMANDO

Post by stevezodiac »

We are all aware that Commando has reduced its new stories to four per month along with four reprints but why can't DC Thomson use its imagination and maybe adapt some of the great boys paper strips for reprinting in Commando. When I saw the latest issue, The Buccaneers, it made me remember Cameron RN, a Nelson's navy strip which I really enjoyed, and I wondered if they could re-edit it into Commando form somehow? Wouldn't it be great to see, instead of old Commandos reprinted, reprints of Tough of the Track etc? What a great job for someone moving all those panels around to fit the Commando format. Anyone agree?

Raven

A NEW IDEA FOR COMMANDO

Post by Raven »

I think they'd have to fit the Commando brief of war-centred stories - which have proved to sell - so as a sports serial Tough of the Track wouldn't be appropriate, would it? I could see it working with certain strips from, say, Warlord compiled together: like 'The Phantom Flyer' or 'Fight or Die!'

stevezodiac

A NEW IDEA FOR COMMANDO

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes Tough was just an example as I can't really think of any war stories by name from Victor, Hotspur etc. How about Braddock?

Sergeant Jock

A NEW IDEA FOR COMMANDO

Post by Sergeant Jock »

Even as a kid I always thought that the Commando stories were better than the stuff in Warlord, Victor and the rest of their clones. There was more to them plot-wise. You always knew that Braddock would trounce the beastly huns, with Commando you were never sure of the outcome till the last page (although you could make an educated guess...).

Thomsons did try the collected works thing from the boys' comics with Red Dagger (I think it was called) and it wasn't a success, was it?

For my money Commando should be left alone to do what it's always done. After all, it's still there when the others have vanished.

Maybe Carlton, who have brought out the collected Commando reprints, should be sweet-talked in to looking at the other comics. There again, maybe they have had a look and decided that only Commando has the name to make the format a success.

As an aside, a mate in Yorkshire is convinced that the Tough's first picture story was reprinted in the Yorkshire Sport (I think) maybe three/four years ago. Can anybody confirm that?