COMMANDO BOOKS - PUBLICATION DATES?

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

Hi Does anyone know how I can obtain the exact dates of publication for Commando books? I have picked up a few, they don't have dates on the cover, only a copyright date of the year.
I know these were issued four at a time, and in each issue there is an ad for the next four which would be available in two (or in some cases three) weeks time. Did the new ones always come out on a certain day of the week? Thanks for any help

Originally posted by Tom on the old forum on 2/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Tom,

the best option is to contact DCT direct for the exact dates. Other than that, I can't recommend Vic Whittle's site highly enough. I have attached the link below. Originally issued two at a time, they changed to three in the mid 60's and then to the 4 at a time around the early 70's.

The ads for the next set only came in around the early 500's (but I could have my issue dates wrong) If I remember rightly, they used to come out on a Friday (in my area) as I would always remember my brother bringing them home then, but that could have as easily been due to him getting paid on a Friday!

Originally posted by Colcool007 on the old forum on 2/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

Colcoo1007,

Thank you for your quick reply, you have been very helpful. That is indeed a superb comprehensive website, it has helped me narrow down the dates of my issues. All the best.

Originally posted by Tom on the old forum on 2/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

You can also try this site http://www.barelyhangingon.co.uk/commando

Originally posted by Johnny red on the old forum on 13/1/2006