Commando Comes Full Circle!

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Commando Comes Full Circle!

Post by philcom55 »

I couldn't help but notice that the latest issue of Commando (titled "Blood Red Battle") seems to have a brand new cover by Ken Barr. This is particularly significant in that Barr was not only the artist for DC Comics' first 'Losers' story in 1970 but was also responsible for the very first Commando covers way back in 1961!

- Phil R.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Commando Comes Full Circle!

Post by felneymike »

I also notice that the cover "wraps around" the back, past the knife (the other side of which has a strangely thin picture of some paratroopers) and onto the area where the description is. Most Commando's nowadays have a photo of something there, such as sand for a desert story, or barbed wire for trench story etc. I imagine that the covers are painted in a standard format, and older issues had just a plain black area here but they wanted to "spice it up", perhaps.
(Interestingly "beware the werewolf"'s semi-transparent text box has the cover shrunk down and used as a background in it!)