Same cover, different cover...

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Sage the Owl

Same cover, different cover...

Post by Sage the Owl »

Whilst looking on a certain auction web site I noticed that issues 206 & 843 were up for bids. This is the story called "Fighter ace", 206 being the original publication whilst 843 is the reprint.
What immediately struck me was that the cover art to 843 whilst being the same had been rotated counter clockwise !
On 206 the Spitfire is bottom right & the 190 is inverted, whilst on 843 the Spit is top right & the 190 is right way up.
Is this the only occurence of a Commando cover being changed upon reprint or are there others ?
I now that the "IPC picture library" comics requently had new covers & titles given to them upon reprint but this is the first time I have noticed any change on Commando.

Digifiend

Re: Same cover, different cover...

Post by Digifiend »

http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/pocket.htm

Scroll down to Commando Cover Artists - 11 issues have been reprinted with completely different covers.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Digifiend wrote:http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/pocket.htm

Scroll down to Commando Cover Artists - 11 issues have been reprinted with completely different covers.
I'm pretty sure that section is showing stories that have had the same (or very similar) titles but have been different stories entirely, not just different colours.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It is different stories, not just different covers. The amazing thing is that there are so few 'doubles' where the same title has been re-used.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!