Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
commando issue 1 mint condition 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Hi, am new on here but have a query:

i was in a second hand book shop earlier looking for previous commando issues as normal when i found what appears to be a mint condition copy of issue no 1 walk or die.

all of the details suggest it is original, there is no commerative emblems on it, it is detailed as issue 1 and 1' old currency and no reprint date etc.

does anybody know if an exact replica was ever issued with all of the original detail and no reference to a modern print or have i found a mint condition issue 1??

cheers

andy


Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:42 pm
Profile
Mr Valeera
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Posts: 3377
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Reply with quote
The way to tell is to check for a print date as DCT put print dates (as in years) on most publications just before pre-decimalisation. So no print date or a date of 1961 would indicate to me that it is an original and worth snapping up if the price is below three figures.

Also, if you are describing it as mint, I assume you mean it looks like it came out of a papershop today. Good for its' age doesn't cut it anymore. :lol:

_________________
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!


Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Thanks for coming back to me,

there is no date on it which caused me to doubt it. it looks unread. the pages are perfect, the spine is perfect. looks like it was on sale fresh from print! picked it up for 50p!!!!!!

it looks so new that i cant believe it is an original from 1961.

the heading goes onto the back page where it has no. 1

how much do you think it is worth?

andy


Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 am
Posts: 4951
Reply with quote
The condition sounds a bit too good to be true for such an old title. Personally I'm inclined to suspect one of Bryon Whitworth's facsimiles.

- Phil Rushton


Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:38 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
thats what i thought Phil,

i kid you not, it is in what i would describe as an unread condition.

who is bryon whitsworth?

whereas the back paragraph is normally in a box/bubble (from memory) this is the fulllength of the back page

i thought it must be a full reprint of the original but the lack of barcode etc made me rethink

can post a picture on her ewhen i get home if it would help?

cheers

andy


Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
front cover of issue 1


Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4625
Reply with quote
andypollqpr wrote:
there is no date on it which caused me to doubt it. it looks unread. the pages are perfect, the spine is perfect. looks like it was on sale fresh from print! picked it up for 50p!!!!!! it looks so new that i cant believe it is an original from 1961. the heading goes onto the back page where it has no. 1 how much do you think it is worth?
You say you were looking for back issues of Commando. Presumably this was to add any you might find to your current collection, but the fact that you are already asking how much it is worth suggests that you might be considering selling it if the value is attractive enough. As a collector myself, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't part with it at any price. Even if it turns out to be a reprint, I would treasure it until I such time as I manage to acquire an original first printing.

I was about to post when I saw your question Who is Bryon Whitworth? I can tell you now that yours is a reprint.


Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 pm
Posts: 896
Location: UK
Reply with quote
andypollqpr wrote:
front cover of issue 1

Is there a pic here? I can't see anything.

Here's one for comparison:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMANDO-No-1-Walk-Or-Die-Rare-War-Comic-Number-One-1961-DC-Thomson-/301205946337?pt=UK_Books_comics_Magazines_UK_Comics_ET&hash=item462145ffe1

_________________
STARSCAPE
http://StarscapeOnline.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Starscape ... 7891434222
comics, cartoons, music & movies


Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6851
Reply with quote
Andy, is it printed on the same type of paper as the other Commando comics you have, and is it squarebound or stapled? If it's like any other Bryon Whitworth facsimile I've seen it'll be on bright white paper throughout, digitally printed, and stapled.

_________________
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
My art blog: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/
British comics blog: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com


Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I don't think that because I am curious to the value indicates anything and the fact I haven't heard of somebody doesn't mean it is instantly a reprint.

Definately no staples and is identical to the one on ebay. Will try to upload a pic now for your assessment. It is telling me the file exceeds the 300 kib limit apparently. Am happy to email a pic if you want to email me at andypollington@yahoo.co.uk

Appreciate the help

Andy


Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:13 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4625
Reply with quote
andypollqpr wrote:
I don't think that because...../..... I haven't heard of somebody doesn't mean it is instantly a reprint.
Quite. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding that is entirely mine. Just before I posted I saw your question Who is Bryon Whit(s)worth? and promply assumed that you had found his name somewhere inside the cover. If I had scrolled up a bit further I would have seen Phil's post in which he was merely suggesting a possibility. I stand by everything else I said though.


Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:50 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4625
Reply with quote
andypollqpr wrote:
Will try to upload a pic now for your assessment. It is telling me the file exceeds the 300 kib limit apparently.
You could always resize your scan to 750 pixels on the longer side, the shorter side will look after itself if you tick the User Defined box and the Keep the Aspect Ratio box, or whatever the equivalent terms are on your scanning program. Then name it and save it as a jPeg file. The scan will then upload.


Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:02 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
front cover


Attachments:
commando 1.JPG
commando 1.JPG [ 30.55 KiB | Viewed 3628 times ]
Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:53 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
back cover


Attachments:
commando 2.JPG
commando 2.JPG [ 46.22 KiB | Viewed 3628 times ]
Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:53 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:59 am
Posts: 6851
Reply with quote
andypollqpr wrote:
front cover


The colours look paler in your copy, but that might just be down to the flash. However There's something different about the binding, plus the 1/- price is in a slightly different position (further to the right) in the one you have, which makes me doubt it's authenticity. Seems a lot of trouble to go to though so perhaps it was created years ago as an official facsimile for some reason.


Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.