Valda, from Mandy

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

DavidKW

Re: Valda, from Mandy

Post by DavidKW »

Nor me - just as well Maisie's a good girl not a :evil: or she'd have conquered the world!

Can't be comfortable wearing a brooch in bed.

Still Maisie's Magic Eye was quirky creepy surreal humour with a variey of situations.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Actually that'd make an interestingly dark 'whatever happened to' scenario, with Maisie having become increasingly corrupted by the brooch in the style of 'Lord of the Rings' or Alan Moore's grown-up Kid Marvelman.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:In the real world I wouldn't want to go anywhere near Maisie's magic brooch in case I accidentally I wished I was dead or something! :?

- Phil R.
That's not how the brooch works. It does whatever Maisie says while it is glowing. A lot of the humour comes from Maisie saying something she doesn't mean to eg calling her friend Lorna an ignoramus - and the brooch turns Lorna into an ignoramus. Then the brooch stops glowing at the worst possible moment, :roll: leaving Maisie to handle a sticky situation until the brooch starts glowing again and she can put things right. Or Maisie wishes something on purpose, leading to a hilarious situation - and then trouble starts when the brooch stops glowing.

Ah, the troubles with an off and on power. Still, if you have Maisie's Magic Eye, don't tell someone to drop dead while the brooch is glowing!

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I know this is an old thread but anyone know how many issues "the Truth about Valda" ran for?

I think I have all the issues between the original and reprints but just double checking!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I know this is an old thread but anyone know how many issues "the Truth about Valda" ran for?
There were 20 issues, peace. The Truth About Valda ran in Mandy from 56 (Feb. 10 1968) - 75 (Jun. 22 1968). This is equally true about the 1973 repeat, also in Mandy. That rerun ran from 347 (Sep. 8 1973) - 366 (Jan. 19 1974). Issue 367 the following week saw the start of a rerun of The Amazing Valda.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Excellent thanks!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I know this is an old thread but anyone know how many issues "the Truth about Valda" ran for? I think I have all the issues between the original and reprints but just double checking!
Did you have them all, peace?

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Yes I do have complete story, though it is split up over different issues of Mandy and the reprint in M&J!

It would be great if they were ever to reprint all the Valda stories in one book! The Truth about Valda is the only complete story I have, though I do have majority of the Girlhood of Valda and then just a few issues of other stories like the Return of Valda and the Ten Tests of Valda.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:The Truth about Valda is the only complete story I have, though I do have majority of the Girlhood of Valda and then just a few issues of other stories like the Return of Valda and the Ten Tests of Valda.
There are also others that I know of, The Amazing Valda, Valda In The Secret City, Valda, Girl Of Mystery, Valda And The Survivors, Valda And She Of The Shadows, and Valda And The Baby Prince.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

peace355 wrote: It would be great if they were ever to reprint all the Valda stories in one book! The Truth about Valda is the only complete story I have, though I do have majority of the Girlhood of Valda and then just a few issues of other stories like the Return of Valda and the Ten Tests of Valda.
You could try looking out for the Lucky Charm comics that featured serialised stories from Mandy, Judy, Bunty and Debbie in single volumes. There were three featuring Valda:
Valda: Champion Diver and Girl of Mystery (issue 1)
Valda (issue 8)
The Truth about Valda (issue 22)
Of course though, as you say it would be great if all the Valda stories were published in one book!

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Sorry, that should be issue 8, but for some reason the cool emoticon has appeared!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

helsbels wrote:Sorry, that should be issue 8, but for some reason the cool emoticon has appeared!
For the sake of clarity, it might be worth pointing out, Helen, that the title on the front cover of issue 8, Mountain Girl Of Mystery And Courage - Valda, is misleading, because the story inside is The Girlhood Of Valda. Issue 1, Valda - Champion Diver And Girl Of Mystery, is equally misleading because the story is The Amazing Valda. There are no such problems with issue 22 The Truth About Valda.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Good to know the corresponding Lucky Charm stories, those were great books, I recently got issue 3 the Balloon of Doom, I'll be keeping my eye out for the Valda ones as well :)

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Phoenix wrote:
helsbels wrote:Sorry, that should be issue 8, but for some reason the cool emoticon has appeared!
For the sake of clarity, it might be worth pointing out, Helen, that the title on the front cover of issue 8, Mountain Girl Of Mystery And Courage - Valda, is misleading, because the story inside is The Girlhood Of Valda. Issue 1, Valda - Champion Diver And Girl Of Mystery, is equally misleading because the story is The Amazing Valda. There are no such problems with issue 22 The Truth About Valda.
Yes, I thought the titles may have been tinkered with! I couldn't confirm original titles as my Mandy comics are right at the back of my top cupboard! Thanks for clarifying, Phoenix. :cheers:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Could anybody with the relevant issues of Mandy please give me the issue number and its date for the final episode of Valda And The Survivors, in both the 1980/81 series, where it must have ended in one of the first three issues in January, and the repeat in 1990, when I think it ended in one of the first two issues in August. Any clarification will be much appreciated.