Time Travel strips in Girls' Comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Time Travel strips in Girls' Comics

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder if The Valley of Fear was inspired by Land of the Lost?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Yes, magic/witchcraft was a popular way to time travel. Another was potty scientists, as in Mandy's Door to Yesterday.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Mandy's Door to Yesterday.
I can thoroughly recommend Robert Heinlein's novel The Door Into Summer for an interesting take on time travel.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

- Not to mention his short story '-All You Zombies-'...possibly one of the weirdest time paradox tales ever written!

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Did any girls comic do a story on zombies? Ah yes, Misty ran "House of Horror", which featured the undead and voodoo. I guess that counts as zombies.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And don't forget this little gem Tammyfan! :)

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Not to mention his short story '-All You Zombies-'...possibly one of the weirdest time paradox tales ever written!
I don't recall this title, Phil. I've just spent an hour or so without success looking through all the relevant Heinlein books in this house, and that includes the ones in Andrew's room. He has more than I have. It might help if you could give me the umbrella title of the collection you have it in. Could you look into this for me, please, because there is still a chance I might have it in a collection of short sci-fi tales by lots of different people. I have plenty of those as well. Any help would be very much appreciated.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I've seen it in a number of anthologies but off hand I can't remember which, or if I stlll have any of them.

You should be able to download the whole story via this link:

cla.calpoly.edu/~lcall/303/heinlein_all_you_zombies.pdf

or read it on this one:

http://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Heinlein-- ... ombies.htm

- Phil R.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A fascinating tale, Phil. Thanks for the link. The trouble with these paradoxes is that you don't fully understand them at the first time of asking. I'll have to make some time in my busy schedule to read it again. Consulting my diary, it looks as though I should be able to set aside a couple of hours for the task last Wednesday. And as for that old country classic I'm My Own Grandpaw, which I have had in my collection since the sixties, Johnny Cash has just rung up to let me know that he has it on good authority that it will definitely be written next month.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Philcom: that is one gorgeous cover. And it's quite a surprise for a girls' picture library. Thank you for posting. And what is the title of the story?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sorry Tammyfan - I have to confess that it's a fake made by splicing a Debbie Picture Library logo onto the cover for Marvel's Tales of the Zombie no.5. :oops:

Still, If nothing else it shows how effective a Misty Picture Library might have been...! :)

- Phil R.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The easiest way of finding All You Zombies is either reading 6x6 or The Unpleasant Profession of Johnathon Hoag.

I cannot say that I like All You Zombies but it does tie in nicely with RAH's future-history stories.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The Zombie is saying "Girl, nip down to the chip shop and get me two saveloys and chips, i'm famished" The fleeing boyfriend is saying "Do you want salt and vinegar, Zomb?"

The girl is saying "Do you want a tub of Atrixo? - your hands are dead rough."

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Zombie is also the name of a magician's prop. It is a floating ball which is used to do all sorts of tricks against a piece of cloth that the magician holds.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:And don't forget this little gem Tammyfan!
I'm sure that girl's got five fingers and a thumb on her left hand.