Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Sheila In The Swim 
Author Message
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5212
Reply with quote
Could any member please tell me in which issue of MANDY Sheila In The Swim finished. I have narrowed it down to either 75 (June 22 1968) or 76 (June 29 1968). I have the rest of the serial up to 74, and Will at 30th Century has checked 77 for me. It isn't in there, but I did buy it anyway, of course! The lack of this information is preventing me from completing my summary of the boys' swimming saga Willie The Wahoo, which appeared in The WIZARD in 1958. If Sheila In The Swim was merely influenced by Willie The Wahoo, I would be quite happy to put This serial influences Sheila In The Swim in MANDY in 1968, but it is actually a repeat, adapted only because the protagonist, Sheila Dawson, races against girls. The background, the school, the college in Sydney, the progression from learning to swim the breast stroke while lying on a board in an area of Australia that doesn't see any rain from one year's end to the next, to winning Olympic Gold, are identical, so I would like to write the starting and finishing issue numbers and their dates in my summary. A wahoo, by the way, is a very speedy fish found in the waters off Australia.


15 Jun 2013, 14:56
Profile

Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41
Posts: 1836
Reply with quote
I've no idea, but I wonder if this story influenced Tammy's Steffi in the Swim? The title is just about the same, anyway. Steffi can't swim until a strange woman comes across her and starts teaching her backstroke. I thought it was pretty odd, starting off a non-swimmer on backstroke rather than freestyle. Still, I enjoyed the story.


16 Jun 2013, 04:19
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 23:50
Posts: 541
Location: Lost in time and lost in space. And meaning.
Reply with quote
I've just been reading Steffi, and it's really an odd strip. Steffi is supposedly learning some experimental technique, but unless this refers to the way her trainer hides and leaves notes for her, I'm not seeing anything special about it.

_________________
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.


18 Jun 2013, 01:14
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5212
Reply with quote
Surely I'm not the only person in the comicsuk world collecting MANDY.


18 Jun 2013, 14:22
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Posts: 4567
Location: space city
Reply with quote
My mate Steve might know but he has taken early retirement and does not have a home pc so I cannot send off a swift e-mail to him. He doesn't own a mobile phone either. He doesn't like modern technology much. He collects everything (comic wise) including girl's comics. He assures me he will get a home pc soon and may join these ranks.


18 Jun 2013, 16:32
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5212
Reply with quote
stevezodiac wrote:
My mate Steve might know but he has taken early retirement and does not have a home pc so I cannot send off a swift e-mail to him. He doesn't own a mobile phone either. He doesn't like modern technology much. He collects everything (comic wise) including girl's comics. He assures me he will get a home pc soon and may join these ranks.
Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'm sure your mate will be a welcome addition here, given his background in comics, if he chooses to join. However, as far as my enquiry goes, I think it will be a bit late.

It has occurred to me though that I should be able to work it out when issue 77 arrives tomorrow from 30th Century. I know that issue 75 contains Sheila's Olympic race because it is trailered in 74, but I can't just assume that it is the final episode because in Willie The Wahoo there is one further instalment, in which he swims the channel in atrocious conditions for such an attempt, which could be used in issue 76 for Sheila In The Swim. If it is, issue 77 will have the first instalment of The Manbury Mermaid, and Thomsons always used to give that information to the readers to get them involved in the adventures from the very beginning. If it isn't, then the lack of that information will mean that The Manbury Mermaid started in 76, which would then mean that Sheila In The Swim ended in 75.


18 Jun 2013, 19:03
Profile

Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41
Posts: 1836
Reply with quote
Marionette wrote:
I've just been reading Steffi, and it's really an odd strip. Steffi is supposedly learning some experimental technique, but unless this refers to the way her trainer hides and leaves notes for her, I'm not seeing anything special about it.


It is odd (starting a non-swimmer off on backstroke instead of freestyle?) but I did enjoy it. Comments in the lettercolumn indicated that others did too, though one took the opposite view. It turns out that the trainer is a disgraced coach who is trying to redeem herself and restore her reputation. And she does, of course.

But as for this Mandy story, I really can't help with the final episode.


Last edited by Tammyfan on 19 Jun 2013, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.



19 Jun 2013, 00:38
Profile

Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41
Posts: 1836
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:
My mate Steve might know but he has taken early retirement and does not have a home pc so I cannot send off a swift e-mail to him. He doesn't own a mobile phone either. He doesn't like modern technology much. He collects everything (comic wise) including girl's comics. He assures me he will get a home pc soon and may join these ranks.
Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'm sure your mate will be a welcome addition here, given his background in comics, if he chooses to join. However, as far as my enquiry goes, I think it will be a bit late.

It has occurred to me though that I should be able to work it out when issue 77 arrives tomorrow from 30th Century. I know that issue 75 contains Sheila's Olympic race because it is trailered in 74, but I can't just assume that it is the final episode because in Willie The Wahoo there is one further instalment, in which he swims the channel in atrocious conditions for such an attempt, which could be used in issue 76 for Sheila In The Swim. If it is, issue 77 will have the first instalment of The Manbury Mermaid, and Thomsons always used to give that information to the readers to get them involved in the adventures from the very beginning. If it isn't, then the lack of that information will mean that The Manbury Mermaid started in 76, which would then mean that Sheila In The Swim ended in 75.


Yep, simple logic. If the first episode of The Manbury Mermaid is in #77, that means Sheila finished in #76. If it's the second episode, then Sheila finished in #75. Please let us know what the findings are.


19 Jun 2013, 00:40
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5212
Reply with quote
The package of eight issues of Mandy from 1968 and 1969, including number 77, arrived this morning. I can report that the instalment of The Manbury Mermaid definitely isn't the first, ergo Sheila In The Swim must have ended in issue 75. As an addendum, the way Susan Prentice's parents force her to wash the family's dishes and scrub the floors of their cafe, even late into the night, make her a contender for inclusion with the other slaves in our The Tammy difference thread.


19 Jun 2013, 12:17
Profile

Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41
Posts: 1836
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
The package of eight issues of Mandy from 1968 and 1969, including number 77, arrived this morning. I can report that the instalment of The Manbury Mermaid definitely isn't the first, ergo Sheila In The Swim must have ended in issue 75. As an addendum, the way Susan Prentice's parents force her to wash the family's dishes and scrub the floors of their cafe, even late into the night, make her a contender for inclusion with the other slaves in our The Tammy difference thread.


No, Sheila is a Cinderella story. Slave story means a group of girls being used as slave labour, fodder for a conspiracy or just being mistreated.


20 Jun 2013, 03:39
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 23:50
Posts: 541
Location: Lost in time and lost in space. And meaning.
Reply with quote
Tammyfan wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
The package of eight issues of Mandy from 1968 and 1969, including number 77, arrived this morning. I can report that the instalment of The Manbury Mermaid definitely isn't the first, ergo Sheila In The Swim must have ended in issue 75. As an addendum, the way Susan Prentice's parents force her to wash the family's dishes and scrub the floors of their cafe, even late into the night, make her a contender for inclusion with the other slaves in our The Tammy difference thread.


No, Sheila is a Cinderella story. Slave story means a group of girls being used as slave labour, fodder for a conspiracy or just being mistreated.


It's true. If we included every girl that's treated as a skivvy by their family/school it would cover almost every story Tammy ever ran. :cry:

_________________
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.


20 Jun 2013, 07:04
Profile
Guru

Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15
Posts: 5212
Reply with quote
Tammyfan wrote:
No, Sheila is a Cinderella story. Slave story means a group of girls being used as slave labour, fodder for a conspiracy or just being mistreated.
I disagree. That is only a partial view of the nature of slavery. See my comments on the The Tammy difference thread, which I wrote before seeing the latest comments on this thread. I do accept Marionette's point here, but it's all a question of degree. You seem to undermine your own point, Tammyfan, by including a group of girls...../.....just being mistreated as a slave story. I think you need to categorise more specifically. Furthermore, you place these girls in groups, but I don't see any essential difference between just one girl being mistreated and more than one girl being mistreated.


20 Jun 2013, 16:02
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.