[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Comics UK - View topic - If we had a list of the 100 greatest serials in girls comics

Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next
If we had a list of the 100 greatest serials in girls comics 
Guru

25 Nov 2013, 20:06

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant Pat Mills.

25 Nov 2013, 20:30

25 Nov 2013, 21:43
Guru

25 Nov 2013, 22:43

Yes, the weeks of December are going to be busy while those of January will be quiet, so we could look at the next stage in earnest then. One of my projects will be to go through my Tammy collection and sort through the comics. But if someone wants to discuss something in the interim, they are, of course, free to do so.

Question 3: Here are the links so you can see for yourself. You will have to excuse the slightly blurry JPGs that go with the text. They didn't come out as well as we hoped.

http://www.booksmonthly.co.uk/jinty.html

http://www.booksmonthly.co.uk/tammy.html

Some titles, such as Sue's Daily Dozen, were chosen for the top ten itself as representations of Jinty's spooky/sports stories. Others missed out. For example, I badly wanted Dracula's Daughter in the top ten, but had to settle for honourable mention because competition was too fierce. I also wanted to include Thursday's Child in the Tammy honourable mentions, but we didn't have the publication dates and I had lost my original copies.

By the way, there is one story in the Tammy top 10, Little Miss Nothing, that is there because it set the template for Tammy's Cinderella stories and therefore considered pivotal to Tammy's history. But I would not nominate it here because here it would probably be just another Cinderella story, even if it was good.

25 Nov 2013, 23:20
Guru

Thank you for those links, Tammyfan. I haven't time at the moment to read the summaries in detail, but I did notice that your recent trio of serials are not there. MInd you, I haven't read those either. Actually, I'll probably print them off when I get a minute or two, and read them at my leisure. My key project apart, I think I'm now mothballing myself until the New Year.

26 Nov 2013, 02:05

26 Nov 2013, 02:14
Guru

26 Nov 2013, 09:48

@ Phoenix: I find it's great to go back through the collections for the list. I have enjoyed some stories over again and reappraised others that I did not take much notice of before. You might find yourself reappraising some strips when you go back through yours. :)

27 Nov 2013, 06:33
Guru

27 Nov 2013, 09:29

27 Nov 2013, 12:41
Guru

27 Nov 2013, 19:41

27 Nov 2013, 19:46

Pat Mills has replied! Here is what he has to say.

Email one:

Thanks for all the info. My thoughts: there were two styles of girls comics. In simplistic terms Group One: Tina, Judy, June, Sally, Penny, Diana etc.

Group Two: Tammy, Misty, Jinty, Pink etc and most of Bunty

The differences between them were very apparent. Once again, in crudely simplistic terms Group One was middle class, Group Two was working class.

The two groups were definitely in opposition to one another, editorially and I believe with readers, too, and it was the strong belief of Group Two editorial that Group One had had its day and almost caused the death of Girls Comics. Basically Group One - by the 70s - was becoming old hat, although there would have been exceptions.

So I was disappointed to see these old style "middle class" stories topping the list when it's my recollection that many of them - or the comics they were in - were commercial disasters or had run out of road. I could have understood if it was an old school classic like the Four Marys, but not the ones I saw.

Also there were some utterly brilliant Bunty stories that I didn't see there on a quick scan... Like Netta Knowall and a school mystery story whose name escapes me. "School of xxxxx" (Not "No Escape)

There were far too many of the light and frothy serials that I recall readers hated at the time. And an emphasis on adventure serials which readers generally didn't like as much of the hard, gritty, emotional stuff. And Little Miss Nothing which - commercially - revolutionised girls comics by Pat Davidson I think was missing.

That said I'm flattered there are so many of mine there, but Pat was the number one writer. Hopefully there are some of her other stories there.

Email 2 with new comments (and after clarification that the entries were alphabetical and not ranked).

On a quick look-over, there seems to be - IMHO - too many "middle class" stories from the middle class comics which didn't sell as well as the "working class" stories in comics like Tammy and Bunty. Often the middle class comics crashed: Princess Tina, Sally and probably Diana.

By middle class I guess I mean, "nice" stories, light and frothy, and pure adventure, as opposed to hard, gritty, realistic and emotional.

Don't think Pat Davidson is there. Her Little Miss Nothing and similar stories revolutionised girls comics and were a major commercial success. Netta Knowall from Bunty was also a classic. But I'm flattered that some of my own are included, like Sugar Jones.

Potentially that should have been a really hot story but the self-contained format meant i had to cram it in, it was tough to write and it led to forced writing style, and the artwork wasn't as hip as it should have been. But I still enjoyed it.

Her fraudulent character has echoes of various TV personalities and a touch of Ab Fab. The predecessor Aunt Aggie in Tammy, which I also wrote (rather badly) was definitely based on Jimmy Saville. And I recall us talking about what a fake and a known (legal) lecher Saville was when we were planning Sugar Jones. (Originally Honey Jones)

I'd love to write that today!

Last edited by Tammyfan on 28 Nov 2013, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

28 Nov 2013, 10:59

For those who don't know, Pat Davidson is the real name of Anne Digby, a writer who is famous for the Trebizon series. She wrote A Horse Called September and Olympia Jones, which are on our list.

Anyone know about Netta Knowall and School of xxxx? I don't, but we've got plenty of experience in pinning down serials from obscure-sounding references and clues.

28 Nov 2013, 11:08
Reply to topic   [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next