June fortnightly in 1974?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

paw broon

Re: June fortnightly in 1974?

Post by paw broon »

Can I show my ignorance by asking who was the artist on that strip? At first glance it looked a bit like Alfred Mazure, but I can't see that that's right.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

"Scream!" was another IPC title that abruptly vanished at the same time. However, it was allowed to continue in Eagle and print some of its unpublished material in its specials. Now why couldn't they have done something similar for Tammy? Her logo did appear on the Girl cover after a while, but none of her material or unfinished stories. Girl readers must have wondered why the logo was there.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 22 Jul 2015, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I wondered about the Terry and Tessa artist too Paw. The style certainly seems to be naggingly familiar!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I have been trying to conta Juliana for ages but nobody seems to be in touchh with her, neither I can find her listed anywhere. Over the last years, as the Expocomic in Madrid and the Saló in Barcelona have been doing some exhibitions on women's comics from the past and all they have had many artists invited/exhibited, but no Juliana.
Will keep trying.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

RuthB wrote:I have been trying to conta Juliana for ages but nobody seems to be in touchh with her, neither I can find her listed anywhere. Over the last years, as the Expocomic in Madrid and the Saló in Barcelona have been doing some exhibitions on women's comics from the past and all they have had many artists invited/exhibited, but no Juliana.
Will keep trying.
Thank you.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:One interesting approach to a sudden, unexpected cancellation was demonstrated by the editor of Junior Mirror in February 1958. While some of the strips were allowed to continue in the pages of Woman's Sunday Mirror the remaining stories were wrapped up with a brief description of how they were intended to conclude. Here's an example featuring Terry and Tessa - the Twins of Tower School.

They show more thought here for the readers than they did in the case of Tammy.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Terry and Tessa looks a bit Rodgerish in his more straight style but not by any means certain of that.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Er...'Rodgerish'??? :?

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes Phil. As in the artist who drew stuff in the 1940's and 1950's and signed some of his work 'Rodger'. Don't know if he was ever identified more fully than this.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hmmm, it rings a vague bell but I still can't place him. My memory really isn't what it used to be!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Right with you on the memory thing Phil. Rodger drew ' The Happiest Days of your Life' for Comet (or Sun) among other things. I have a memory that he provided the artwork for at least one AP picture library but I haven't got my indexes to hand to check.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Back to the original post question, Look-in was approximately fortnightly in early 1974 owing to strikes (issues were undated during this period) and there was further action at the end of the year/beginning of the following year, with the result two whole issues were never published.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That would have made a mess of their TV listings... did they just omit them?

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

Digifiend wrote:That would have made a mess of their TV listings... did they just omit them?
Yes, the two end pages reserved for listings were replaced by photo features.