M&J Questions

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

M&J Questions

Post by peace355 »

Couple of questions:

When did Sarah's Secret end? It started in M&J #42 (29 February 1992)
That story was a reprint of Judy story Sharon's Secret Sister that appeared in Judy around #1331(13 July 1985), any accurate dates on when it appeared in Judy?

Also would anyone have the last episode of that story (Sharon's Secret) as scan or synopsis?

When did Debbie's Dream House end? It started in M&J: #49 (18 April 1992).

When did My Mum- My Chum and The Mask start? Must have been sometime around #59

Lastly Four in the Saddle started in M&J #313 (10 May 1997), the next issue (#314) promises "more next week" but then it doesn't appear in M&J #315. That being the last issue of M&J and with other stories doubled up to finish them, it makes me suspect that the Bunty/M&J merger happened sooner than expected. Four in the Saddle is not mentioned in the merger ad so did it ever appear in Bunty or was it left unfinished?

Tammyfan

Re: M&J Questions

Post by Tammyfan »

Don't think I can help with any of those, but it looks like The Mask and My Mum My Chum did begin circa #59, though it's not confirmed. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind knowing how Sarah's Secret ended either. Ditto The Mask.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I can help with The Mask ending from M&J #73.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Peace. Yes, I thought poor Dorinda was being tricked into wearing that mask.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hi Lorraine,
Here is the information you were seeking.

1. Sarah's Secret ends in M&J 57 (June 13 1992).
2. Debbie's Dream House ends in M&J 57 (June 13 1992).
3. My Mum - My Chum starts in M&J 58 (June 20 1992).
4. The Mask starts in M&J 58 (June 20 1992).
5. Four In The Saddle was discontinued. It did not go forward into the Bunty/M&J amalgamation.
6. Sharon's Secret Sister ran in Judy 1324 (May 25 1985) - 1339 (Sep. 7 1985).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you Phoenix.

Er, I believe someone was asking how Sarah's Secret ended?

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for the dates Phoenix.

Interesting that Four in the Saddle got discontinued, usually there was some preparation for a publication finishing / merging so seems quite unusual to start a story just 3 issues before the end without concluding it. Would have thought some complete stories would have been used instead, so it does point to M&J finishing sooner than intended. I know talking with writer Anne Bulcraig she was surprised when it folded and had several scripts already submitted for the publication.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Sound a bit poor, dropping Four in the Saddle like that. Reminds me of how they dropped the unfinished stories in Tammy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:I know talking with writer Anne Bulcraig she was surprised when it folded and had several scripts already submitted for the publication
Did they get used later in Bunty?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Er, I believe someone was asking how Sarah's Secret ended?
Yes, that was Lorraine, not just any old someone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Also would anyone have the last episode of that story (Sharon's Secret) as scan or synopsis?
Mrs Taylor tells Sarah that they want to adopt her officially, and that they are going to be moving house soon. She adds that Sarah's friend Sharon will be able to come and stay with them there. Sarah doesn't want that to happen. When she tells Sharon her news Sharon wants them to go together to tell Mrs Taylor. Needing time to think, Sarah suggests that they join a group of friends on the other side of the road. While crossing Sharon is knocked down by a car. Sarah immediately feels guilty because whatever she did want it didn't include her sister having an accident. As the ambulance is taking Sharon to the local hospital Sarah has her lightbulb moment and realises what she must do now. She goes home, writes a letter to her foster mother in which she admits everything, and then leaves home believing that her mother will not want to keep her when she finds out what she has done. She eventually goes to the hospital at which point a nurse on Reception, having been alerted earlier by Mr and Mrs Taylor, rings her mother to let her know that Sarah has turned up to visit Sharon. Sarah asks her mother how she can explain to Sharon how selfish she has been, and is told to say nothing as it would hurt her, but would have to live with the memory of what she had been planning. Inevitably Sharon is asked to join Sarah's foster family so that the two sisters can be brought up together. A few weeks later the whole family move house, and Sarah realises that it means a new start for everybody.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for the summary, it quite often seems to be having someone's life in danger that makes the person realise the error of their ways!
Phoenix wrote:
peace355 wrote:I know talking with writer Anne Bulcraig she was surprised when it folded and had several scripts already submitted for the publication
Did they get used later in Bunty?
At least one story Miss Fortune was printed in Bunty, but she was unsure if others appeared.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:Thanks for the summary, it quite often seems to be having someone's life in danger that makes the person realise the error of their ways!
Or to make errant parents realise how badly they've been treating their daughters e.g. hard Times for Helen from Judy.