Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm the opposite. I love tea but detest coffee. Awful stuff. Every once in a while I will try a cup to see if my palate will accept it but after one mouthful my face resembles a Chihuahua chewing a wasp.

By the way there was a film on CBS Action last night called Braddock: Missing in Action III. Starring Chuck Norris. I suppose the low budget version could have been Missing in Acton W3.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:clearly parodying the concept of the 'Long Dark Night of the Soul' that was invented by St. John of the Cross (though I'm sure you knew that).
I have convinced myself that you are becoming a bit mischievous, Phil. The fact is that I never studied San Juan de la Cruz at university, nor Santa Teresa for that matter. Obviously I could have done given that I did study some 16th Century texts, and I do have two biographical works, one analytical work, and a translation of San Juan's poems in the Penguin Classics series, but I was always drawn more towards the 19th and 20th centuries. There are a number of key works in the 16th, including picaresque novels such as Lazarillo De Tormes and El Buscon, and drama from the great trio of Tirso de Molina, Calderon de la Barca and Lope de Vega, much of which I enjoyed enormously, and even acted in some. However, where poetry was concerned I sensed no wavelength, no mutual meeting of minds, until I came across the twentieth century's Soria-based poet Antonio Machado, and to a lesser extent curiously, the great poet/dramatist Federico Garcia Lorca who was assassinated by General Franco's Guardia Civil in the early months of the Civil War (1936-39).

A second relevant factor is that I had already passed, relatively unscathed, through my mid-teens religious period, and eased into a longer-lasting period of atheism, by which time the poetry of San Juan de la Cruz would have had no meaningful effect on me.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I suppose the low budget version could have been Missing in Acton W3.
This is odd. I responded to this comment earlier today but it isn't here so I can't have posted it. I think I must need more sleep. For the record I was merely pointing out to Steve that he is showing more of a sense of humour these days.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Still listing the serials in Debbie but I am about to start 1982 plus the final two issues in 1983. I've been working on this all day so I might knock off shortly. Tracy will nevertheless be stepping up to the plate at some point tomorrow. I should be able to complete both lists comfortably before tea. Bunty is now looming large on the horizon though. She will engage my attention for a goodly portion of next week I'm sure, but by the weekend at the latest I should have complete lists of the serials in all eleven titles. Then I'll have to decide which of them will get summarised for the book. All good fun!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Still listing the serials in Debbie but I am about to start 1982 plus the final two issues in 1983. I've been working on this all day so I might knock off shortly. Tracy will nevertheless be stepping up to the plate at some point tomorrow. I should be able to complete both lists comfortably before tea. Bunty is now looming large on the horizon though. She will engage my attention for a goodly portion of next week I'm sure, but by the weekend at the latest I should have complete lists of the serials in all eleven titles. Then I'll have to decide which of them will get summarised for the book. All good fun!
Our old thread, "If we had a list of the 100 best girls' serials" may help with the choices.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Our old thread, "If we had a list of the 100 best girls' serials" may help with the choices.
Some of the selections I will make may well be on that list, Tammyfan, but as I do not wish to be influenced in any way, I will resist the temptation to check prior to deciding on my 3000. :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i know it is prob a lot more hard work but why pick and choose why not just write the bible of girls comics and list all the stories .granted the book may cost more but i'm sure people wold prefer a comprehensive list.i would like to read about them all and i don't have many girls comics.but would like to read about each serial.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I'm sure Phoenix mentioned elsewhere on the thread, why he is not doing that. But I imagine the book would just be too large! 3000 is a lot to cover in itself. I don't have a complete list of stories in my spreadsheets and it is nearing 4000!

Although Phoneix I would be interested what the total number of stories are for the 11 titles, when you are finished checking through them.

Big Bad Bri - If you are interested, I am slowly building up my site, so maybe one day will have the full list of serials, at the moment I have some of the shorter publications complete: Spellbound, M&J, Nikki and Emma. Though admittedly at some point I have to go back over and check if I've updated the information correctly (some publication dates I wasn't sure of). Phoneix has been great help to me giving correct dates.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Although Phoneix I would be interested what the total number of stories are for the 11 titles, when you are finished checking through them.
I can at least give you the figure so far, Lorraine. I have completed the listings for Judy, Mandy, Emma, Diana, Suzy, M&J, Nikki, Spellbound, and Debbie. Without detailing the individual totals, the grand total of the serials in the nine comic titles so far, Tracy and Bunty to be added later, is 3579. I don't yet know the figure for Tracy as I have never previously needed to count them, but I think the total for Bunty is 1323. I will eventually check again to be on the safe side. A quick count brings a total of 4902 plus those in Tracy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just finished listing the serials in the first 117 issues of Tracy, which has taken me to the end of 1981. I don't appear to have any issues missing from there to the end of her run in 1985, so it should be plain sailing tomorrow. As I am so focused on this project, it goes without saying that the proposed project on Adventure with Kashgar has taken up residence on the back burner just to keep warm.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have just this minute completed the listing of the serials in Tracy, the tenth of the eleven story papers. The total of the serials listed so far is 3833. So it's the kettle on now, one cup of coffee, a fifteen-minute period of relaxation, and then I'll start on Bunty.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have started on Bunty today but as energy and enthusiasm were singularly lacking I only managed to cover the content of her first 65 issues. The title of one of my favourite songs by the Everly Brothers is apposite here, Maybe Tomorrow.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

An update:- The total number of serials in Tracy is 223 plus the first instalment of Little Amy, which continued in the combined paper Judy and Tracy.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Today I continued the listing of the titles of the serials in Bunty, and reached the end of 1962, five years now logged but a long way to go yet.

Update:- I'm making reasonable progress, having just now reached the end of 1967. I'll start 1968 after I've had some lunch. The total number of serials that I've listed so far is 5030, of which 2046 are from Judy, 1064 from Mandy, 1533 from the rest combined, minus Bunty, who so far has added 387 to the total, always assuming that my Arithmetic has not let me down.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I am steadily working my way through Bunty, in fact just coming to the end of 1991, so I have listed all the serials from the first thirty of her roughly forty-two year run. However, I need to know whether the first series of Luv, Lisa ended in issue 1755 (August 31 1991) or in 1756 (September 7 1991). I suspect it will have been 1755 but the comment at the end of that episode seems inconclusive. I do have the lists that David Roach sent to me but they don't include any of the photo serials as presumably he didn't see them as art work.