Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

comixminx

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:Paradise Park again this morning with Lois, Alex and Autumn. Four hours of play for them. I took The School In The Woods by Dorita Fairlie Bruce to keep me occupied and stave off boredom. It didn't entirely work because I was drafted in as some sort of arbiter in a dispute between Alex and Autumn. It was a case of who was lying? Alex told me that although he had told lies in the past, he swore blind that he definitely wasn't doing so today. Lois told me he was. Autumn was in floods of tears, and only came down to our table to get her phone to ring her mother and ask her to come and collect her. Eventually I got Alex to tell me what the argument had been about. Apparently Autumn (11 years old) was asking Alex (9 years old) for some kind of sexual favour, and he was refusing. I won't go into details. At first I admit I didn't believe him. Nor did Lois, but as time passed it became clear that Alex was telling the truth. Even Lois eventually believed him, albeit reluctantly because Autumn is her friend too. No longer though, even though she lives only four doors down their road. I rang Russ and Rach to explain the situation. We didn't leave the play zone until a taxi ordered by Autumn's mother turned up. I wasn't at all happy about her going in the taxi on her own, and I was prepared to go with her, but fortunately her mother came in the taxi. Things calmed down quite significantly after that. I rang Russ to say that I was taking L&A to McDonalds for an early tea. By the time we had settled down there and ordered our usual meals, there was a lot less tension between Lois and Alex, which was mainly due to Lois accepting that what Alex had complained about was substantially true. This evening Russ drove the four of us to the Copperhouse for a few jars, and the children spent some time on the pool table. What will happen tomorrow is anyone's guess, but the one certainty is that it will not include Autumn.
Blimey. I mean kissing and cuddling (of a girlfriend/boyfriend nature) can certainly be happening at that age (even Alex's younger age) but it does rather sound as if it was more than that (while appreciating you wouldn't / shoudln't go into detail). Hope it all settles down without further anything untoward.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

comixminx wrote:Hope it all settles down without further anything untoward.
Thank you for your interest, Jenni. I don't think there will be any long-term damage as Lois and Alex are pretty stable. They came down here on their bikes this morning, took the Shove Snooker board out of its box and laid it on the landing carpet, played a couple of games, and then rode off home. I wasn't expecting them so I was very glad that they didn't go into the conservatory because their Christmas presents are in there, not yet wrapped. That will be done when I get up in the morning. I'm spending Christmas Day at theirs so I'll have to be up extra early to drive up there. Just as Lynne and I did with Russ and Andrew, their presents are placed in two areas, one being their bedrooms to give them some packages to open when they wake up, the other being downstairs in the lounge, but they are not allowed to go down there until we are ready, because Russ will be filming the proceedings. They do know the drill.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:They do know the drill.
It didn't apply this year, but nobody told me in advance!! All the presents were in the lounge, so that's where I put mine. Something else I hadn't bargained for, given that I always think of Christmas as a time for children, and therefore didn't buy for anyone else, was being given presents myself, so I now have two more shirts, a new pair of jeans, and a guilty conscience.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This morning I would like to wish all members of this excellent site a Happy New Year.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thanks for your good wishes Phoenix, a Happy New Year to you.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Happy new year to all site readers and contributors in general, and to Phoenix in particular!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I took Lois and Alex to Paradise Park again today. Autumn definitely seems to be history, and deservedly so really, but Jess, another former friend, now seems to be back in favour, although she wasn't asked if she wanted to go to P.P. today. Maybe she will come up with us tomorrow. I've known Jess for a few years now, since I used to come down here for long weekends. I taught her to play the card game Speed and the board game Sorry so that she could join in our table games. Because those who paid to go in today got a discount if they wanted to return tomorrow, I paid for tomorrow's tickets before we left the building, or The Jungle Barn Indoor Play Centre, to give it its official title. While L and A were busy losing a fair few calories climbing up to the top of the long slides, and sliding down them over and over again, and climbing frames constructed of ropes, yours truly was in charge of shoes. I read The Guardian from cover to cover, and before anybody asks, yes, I did notice that my team Bolton Wanderers took a 6-0 pasting at Hull. At this rate they'll be back in the Third Division, or League 1, as it is now optimistically called, presumably to boost somewhat the fading egos of players who are getting paid more than their talents and efforts are worth. My elder son, Andrew, is driving down from London with Aurora and Kelsey tomorrow. They'll be staying with his mother, my ex-wife Lynne, in St. Ives. It will be lovely to see them again, and the girls always bring out Alex's protective nature. Over the years I have taken many a photograph of the four of them, in pairs holding hands. It's lovely to see, and the next few days will be no different.

Can I just close by thanking Goof and comixminx for their personal wishes for a Happy New Year for me. I am sure that it will be both happy and productive.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm hoping Millwall can avenge Bolton when we play Hull on Sunday in the FA Cup but I'm not optimistic despite our three wins over Christmas. I just hope Hull have used up their goal quota.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I'm hoping Millwall can avenge Bolton when we play Hull on Sunday in the FA Cup but I'm not optimistic despite our three wins over Christmas
The best of luck with that, Steve. Not that a cup tie will have any effect on Bolton's league position though. Even through rose-tinted spectacles I would be able to see our relegation prospects. I'm off out now to pick up Lois and Alex, and possibly Jess, and take them to Paradise Park for a few hours. Andrew rang his mother earlier to tell her that he and his daughters expect to get to hers by 3o'clock this afternoon. A family reunion should be on the cards, but given the current state of play between Andrew and Russell, I think it pretty unlikely. Guess who will be trying to divert the flak!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Paradise Park again today with Lois, Alex and his new girlfriend, Jess. Even at half ten it was so busy we only just managed to get a table, which we needed to put their shoes under, only socks being allowed in or on the play equipment. We stayed until about 3.30, during which time I read The Guardian from cover to cover, and completed the Wordsearch, the only clues being 'Find thirteen words that can precede board', and then I took them home to get changed before taking L and A down to their Nan's in St. Ives for tea, knowing that Andrew would have arrived by that time from London with Aurora (7) and Kelsey (4). Alex took Jess home. I have return tickets for tomorrow for L, A, and J, but Andrew will have to pay for himself and his two if he brings them. I hope he does because they draw out Alex's protective streak. I'm assuming that, like today, we will all have to buy sandwiches there for lunch. Out-of-town places like that have you by the short and curlies when it comes to food provision, so everything is pretty expensive. Still, what's a few quid amongst friends? Andrew can pay anyway, as he earns a shedload of dosh, a lot more than I get in my pension, even after I've added the works pension and the state one together!!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Half twelve to five to six in Paradise Park today. As anticipated, Alex's protective spirit was revealed as he spent a lot of time with Kelsey, and Lois looked after Aurora. Andrew and I kept an eye on their shoes and other belongings when we finally found a spare table. We won't be back there tomorrow because all four children want to go to the Arcades in St. Ives. The main problem in that town is finding a place to park, even in Winter, so I think we'll have to go early.

A nice package arrived from 30th Century this morning, just as I was leaving. 3 MANDYs, one from 1981, two from 1984, and 6 JUDYs, one from 1972, and five from 1975. Even just seven gaps filled can't be bad. I didn't open the parcel until I got home this evening. It was something to look forward to.

Andrew will take his girls home on Sunday. Monday is back-to-school day for his children and ours.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:A nice package arrived from 30th Century this morning, just as I was leaving. 3 MANDYs, one from 1981, two from 1984, and 6 JUDYs, one from 1972, and five from 1975. Even just seven gaps filled can't be bad.
In addition to the nine story papers mentioned above, there were ten issues of BUNTY that I forgot to mention because I had already put them on one side to read. Six of them are from 1963, two are from 1964, and there's one each from 1981 and 1986.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

If I had taken the trouble to turn over the card on which I had written my BUNTY, JUDY, and MANDY wants lists from 30th Century, I would have noticed that I also wanted NIKKI 180 and DEBBIE 302. Fortunately, when I rang Will this morning, he popped down into the bowels of the shop and dug them out for me. I should receive them by the end of the week.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

DEBBIE 302 and NIKKI 180 arrived safely this morning from 30th Century Comics. They are in outstanding condition. I can now report that I have every issue of NIKKI. Still 61 issues of DEBBIE to get, but very few are contiguous. The longest run of missing issues is 499 to 503, so I can't see that impinging on my ability to write accurate synopses of any selected serials that have instalments in that run.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Right, well here I am, as promised, on the Phoenix's Future Plans thread. I will admit that it does seem to be the most appropriate thread both for my general comments and my more pertinent ones. So now you can all make up your mind in advance whether you are going to read them or not.

I've had a busy day today. Rather than drive into Penzance, I got the bus because I have a pass that allows me free travel on any service bus. Saves on petrol. I needed to go to my bank, and to W. H. Smiths, and the nearest ones are there. Presumably there are branches of both in Camborne, and no doubt also in Redruth, but although I know full well that there are branches of both in Truro, if I were to go there and back by bus, I would be able to read half a novel in each direction. The train, if I remember correctly, only takes about forty minutes each way, and I do have a rail pass as well, that cost me £30 for the year. I don't really know why I don't use it.

I was back in time to drive to the Costa Coffee in St. Ives to meet Lois after school. She arrived on her own today because Faye's mother had picked her up from the school, and heaven knows where Sienna was. We stayed there chatting over my coffee and her hot chocolate for half an hour or more. She was telling me that she doesn't have much money apart from birthdays and Christmas, and she asked me if I would pay her if she came down and cleaned my house once a week!!! I would sooner just pay her pocket money. I'm due to go out with Russ to the Copperhouse tomorrow evening for a couple of jars, and of course we'll have the children with us because Rach will be working, so I'll ask him if he will let me pay them both some pocket money each week. Alex took quite a bit of his birthday dosh with him when we went to Home Bargains in Hayle this evening, and ended up buying a speaker for his bedroom. Lois fancied a kind of tray of eye make-up, which wasn't much more than a fiver, so I bought that for her. When all is said and done, I don't spend much on myself anyway because apart from the odd impulse purchase, I've already got everything I want. Examples of impulse purchases today are a CD called First Steps by Steeleye Span for a fiver, and a compilation CD for £4 called Sounds Like Nashville featuring songs by the likes of Glen Campbell, Bobbie Gentry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, Roseanne Cash, Patsy Cline and many more artists.