Identificating artists from DC Thomson comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

LousQ

Re: Identificating artists from DC Thomson comics

Post by LousQ »

Molly and her Millettes, from Emma - a page from February 1979:

The Oldest Schoolgirl, from Mandy - a page from January 1978:

The Secret Nurse, from Mandy:
Last edited by LousQ on 10 Jul 2017, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.

LousQ

Post by LousQ »

And the last one, the Troubles of Tessa, from Mandy - a page from December 1979:

Thanks for your interest Comixminx! The exhibition is about the representation of women in comics, and will include a lot of DC Thomson originals, but also contemporary works from various British artists. It will take place in Dundee University and should start by the 22nd of July
I can post more information (poster/ summary/ etc.) when I get them if you are interested

Thanks a lot, everyone !
Last edited by LousQ on 10 Jul 2017, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

LousQ wrote:Thank you so much for all of your answers, this is great !

Here are abstracts and more information about the period, as you were saying colcool007

Educated Edith:
I am not sure what the date is for this one, but here is a picture of the page I was interested in (sorry for the quality)
Educated Edith.jpg
Emma's Report:
Emma's reports.jpg
Holly of the Hazard Unit - a page from December 1978:
Holly of the Hazard Unit.jpg
Looks like I can't attach more files, so I will continue in the next post
I think Emma's Report is by José Ariza, and Holly of the Hazard Unit by Richard Neillands.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 25 Jun 2017, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As LousQ has not identified the basic source of these serials, perhaps it will be helpful if I do. Educated Edith is in Judy, Molly And Her Millettes, Holly Of Hazard Unit (not the H. U.), and The Emma Report (not Emma's Reports) are in Emma, The Secret Nurse, The Troubles Of Tessa, and The Oldest Schoolgirl - That's My Mum! are all in Mandy.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I think "Merry" drew The Secret Nurse, but it's a bit hard to tell. Maybe if there was another sample?

LousQ

Post by LousQ »

The source of the serials are in my first post, I can modify these last ones to have it all together, though
For the Secret Nurse I also have this page:

Thanks Tammyfan and Phoenix :)
Last edited by LousQ on 10 Jul 2017, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

LousQ wrote:The source of the serials are in my first post, I can modify these last ones to have it all together, though
For the Secret Nurse I also have this page:
Secret Nurse 2.jpg

Thanks Tammyfan and Phoenix :)
You're welcome. And judging by the new sample, it definitely looks like "Merry".

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sounds like a fascinating idea for an exhibition; I've often thought that people should make more use of comics as a reflection of social history (I wish I lived nearer to Dundee!). The way in which the Four Marys series evolved over the years in Bunty is particularly revealing, and it'd be interesting to compare some humorous strips such as Keyhole Kate, Beryl the Peril and Minnie the Minx. Given the location and the fact that DC Thomson artwork is notoriously difficult to find outside their own files I can't help wondering if these pieces are on loan from the publisher?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:As LousQ has not identified the basic source of these serials, perhaps it will be helpful if I do.
LousQ wrote:The source of the serials are in my first post,
Only overtiredness can explain how I did not notice that. At least I was able to correct a couple of LouQ's titles so my time was not entirely wasted.