Force of Evil

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Force of Evil

Post by peace355 »

Myself and Mistyfan are trying to piece together a post on Force of Evil that appeared in Suzy #170 (7 December 1985) – #181 (22 February 1986)

We only have 2 episodes #177 and #181, so I know it's a big ask looking for scans of the other 10 episodes, but if anyone has even few episodes they are able to share, I can make a trip to library to fill the gaps.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Force of Evil

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Myself and Mistyfan are trying to piece together a post on Force of Evil that appeared in Suzy #170 (7 December 1985) – #181 (22 February 1986). We only have 2 episodes #177 and #181, so I know it's a big ask looking for scans of the other 10 episodes, but if anyone has even few episodes they are able to share, I can make a trip to library to fill the gaps.
Why on earth don't you use my summary of Force Of Evil that I wrote in the Endings Of Stories thread in Comic Titles And Groups - Girls' Comics on Saturday October 8th 2016? I got all the plot information from the serial itself in the British Library.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
peace355 wrote:Myself and Mistyfan are trying to piece together a post on Force of Evil that appeared in Suzy #170 (7 December 1985) – #181 (22 February 1986). We only have 2 episodes #177 and #181, so I know it's a big ask looking for scans of the other 10 episodes, but if anyone has even few episodes they are able to share, I can make a trip to library to fill the gaps.
Why on earth don't you use my summary of Force Of Evil that I wrote in the Endings Of Stories thread in Comic Titles And Groups - Girls' Comics on Saturday October 8th 2016? I got all the plot information from the serial itself in the British Library.
It summarises the final episode only, which we have a hard copy of now.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Myself and Mistyfan are trying to piece together a post on Force of Evil that appeared in Suzy #170 (7 December 1985) – #181 (22 February 1986)
You must obviously contact in advance the library you plan to visit, Lorraine, to find out if they hold the title or not. If no library near or relatively near you does have the full run, and you need to travel down to London, you will need to give the British Library three days advance notice so they can bring them in for you from their storage facility in Boston Spa in Yorkshire. You will naturally also need to join the library, which can be done on arrival, because only members are allowed into the reading rooms, all of which need to see your membership card on entry. I imagine that you would also need to stay overnight at somewhere like a Premier Inn so booking a room in advance at one would be important, especially at this time of year.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I have now gotten issues 176 and 179.

The National Library Scotland (Edinburgh) does have the majority of Suzys, I used it recently to read the ending of a story, though it would have been good if I realised a few years ago that they had such a collection, but better late than never!

A trip to London would be impractical these days, but I can certainly manage a trip to the NLS for few hours while my partner looks after baby Ruby. Poor girl has started teething early, so she's not having the easiest time this week!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Issue #177 is out. No longer in stock. Rats!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I don't think I've ever actually seen a copy of Suzy. Did it contain many traditional comic strips or was it mainly photo strips and magazine features?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:I don't think I've ever actually seen a copy of Suzy. Did it contain many traditional comic strips or was it mainly photo strips and magazine features?
Combination.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

From what I've seen early days had a lot of photo stories. In the first issue there was 2 picture stories and 4 photo stories, but then later issues have the opposite 4 picture and 2 photo. Then around the #180s seem to be more feature heavy with only 4 stories but by the end of its run it was back up to 6 stories in an issue (maybe due to its upcoming merger with Bunty at the time)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:The National Library Scotland (Edinburgh) does have the majority of Suzys
Why doesn't it have them all?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
peace355 wrote:The National Library Scotland (Edinburgh) does have the majority of Suzys
Why doesn't it have them all?
You will find a number of reasons explain the gaps. Copies getting lost in the post, issues not being returned and copies not even being sent to the Library in the first place. And that's not even mentioning the copies that may have been liberated by comic fans inside the Library.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote: And that's not even mentioning the copies that may have been liberated by comic fans inside the Library.
You would think though that another reader nearby would see the thief extracting the relevant issue from the bound volume, wouldn't you? If I were to witness such a depredation I would report it immediately, although I would naturally try to stop them first. I might even be so angry that I would even feel the urge to stand up and shout into the silence of the reading room ''Thief at work over here''.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:issues not being returned
That can't happen at the British Library because all volumes issued are issued to your card, and you have to have them checked back in when you have finished with them. If you want to work with them again the following day you just ask the librarian to keep them for you. They will then retain them for three days before returning them to stock or to Boston Spa. It is therefore a courtesy if you have finished with them to tell whichever librarian takes the volumes from you that you will not be needing them again.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:copies not even being sent to the Library in the first place
Where Thomsons are concerned that situation is extremely unlikely to have arisen. Don't forget that I have been consulting the British Library's holdings of Thomsons titles for boys and more recently for girls since at least the 1970s when I was hard at work during school holidays cataloguing The Wizard. In later visits I completed my noting down of the content of my missing issues of The Hotspur, Adventure, The Skipper and The Rover. I would have noticed any issues that were missing. It is only relatively recently that I have turned my attention to the company's titles for girls. I must go now as a big parcel, more a box in truth, of issues of M&J arrived while I was in Cornwall, and I need to check them in, then integrate those that I haven't already got and those that are upgrades on those I already have.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote: And that's not even mentioning the copies that may have been liberated by comic fans inside the Library.
You would think though that another reader nearby would see the thief extracting the relevant issue from the bound volume, wouldn't you? If I were to witness such a depredation I would report it immediately, although I would naturally try to stop them first. I might even be so angry that I would even feel the urge to stand up and shout into the silence of the reading room ''Thief at work over here''.
In this case, I was thinking more of those that are entrusted with working within the system as they are not as rigorously watched as the readers are. The people who usually beat a system are those that are most familar with the internal workings of it. A good example of this is the amount of art that has been liberated from the depths of the secure storage of D C Thomson's archives.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!